Short story ID: coffee appreciation society secretly drives history

I'm looking for a short story which I think is in the form of minutes from the meetings of a secret society, presenting a group of coffee enthusiasts as being behind most technological advances since the 1600s, in searching for ways to improve the coffee growing/brewing/drinking experience. I think it ends with the implication that the society has accidentally unleashed a nanotech apocalypse set on optimizing the universe for coffee production.

Authors I've thought might have written it, but I can't find it in any of their collections I have: Kage Baker, David Langford, Terry Bisson, Connie Willis. I also thought maybe it was in an edition of Lady Churchill's Rosebud Wristlet, but I'm not finding it by searching those, either.

This is at least the second time I've lost this short story, so if someone can help me ID it, I'll be sure to make a note of it this time. Help!
posted by hades to Media & Arts (8 answers total) 20 users marked this as a favorite

Hah! That sounds 100% Kage Baker, too, bless her soul.
posted by wenestvedt at 1:48 PM on March 30, 2021 [1 favorite]

I remember reading this, but I can't find it either. Although I remember it as the apocalypse being caused by engineering coffee plants into triffids. I think it was called Excerpts From the Society Journal or something similar.
posted by His thoughts were red thoughts at 2:56 PM on March 30, 2021 [2 favorites]

Best answer: This looks like it, by (mefi's own!) Charles Stross: Extracts from the Club Diary
posted by sagc at 3:15 PM on March 30, 2021 [16 favorites]

Nice one!
posted by His thoughts were red thoughts at 4:06 PM on March 30, 2021 [1 favorite]

Response by poster: OMG that is it, thank you. That was going to bug the crap out of me until I knew what it was. I'll put a link to this page in my bookmarks under "that coffee story I keep forgetting".
posted by hades at 5:50 PM on March 30, 2021 [3 favorites]

This looks like it, by (mefi's own!) Charles Stross: Extracts from the Club Diary

I was kind of close, I guess. Stupid brain.
posted by His thoughts were red thoughts at 7:47 PM on March 30, 2021 [2 favorites]

Response by poster: Yeah, I was coming up with "Proceedings of the Society of ...", which was also close, but not helping me find it.
posted by hades at 11:36 PM on March 30, 2021

Is there a section of the MeFi wiki for people who have asked the same question more than once? That would be awesome.

Maybe http://mefiwiki.com/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Of_Metafilter ?
posted by wenestvedt at 6:11 AM on March 31, 2021

« Older Website to compile/display favorite tweets, pins...   |   Crack in the ceiling - should we be worried? Newer »