What to do with my rice flour/powder stash?

A while back I got interested in trying out a recipe for microwave-made cheung fun (Cantonese steamed rice rolls). My brother kindly sourced me some Chinese rice flour/powder for my ingredients list. Lots and lots of rice flour, eep! (1.5 kg/3.3 lb). Cheung fun are tasty, but I'd love some suggestions for other ways to make good use of my stash. What delicious delights would you recommend I make?

Things to know:
-- This flour is very finely ground, like icing/confectioners sugar. It's different from British/Australian-style rice flour (more coarsely ground, used to make shortbread). It is plain rice flour/powder, not glutinous rice flour/powder.
-- I'm quite a good cook, and I'm happy to try any culinary technique or cuisine.
-- I'm lucky to have a kitchen stocked with a wide range of equipment.
-- I now have access to several pan-Asian grocery stores.
-- Sadly I can't eat chilli, but everything else is in play.
Thanks all!
posted by brushtailedphascogale to Food & Drink (17 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

Bánh Xèo
posted by yueliang at 9:55 PM on February 19 [5 favorites]

Mochiko Chicken
posted by kaiseki at 10:00 PM on February 19 [3 favorites]

Bahn cuon The two recipes I looked at also calls for tapioca flour.
posted by Constance Mirabella at 10:32 PM on February 19 [1 favorite]

Rice flour is by definition pretty bland and due to its low protein content, doesn't polymerize well. It might be a component of other things, but by itself it can't - say - make a decent dumpling wrapper on its own hence pasta/ dough made from it ends up being rolled into cheung fun.

Are you rolling just rice pasta? I like 'rice flour rolls wrapped Chinese donut' - but fresh ja leung/ siu tai can be hard to get fresh and a PITA to make, so just getting that at dim sum is more than worth it. But other fillings for 'rice flour rolls' are easier like prawns or bbq pork or (finely) juliened pork with wood ear fungus and bamboo shoot and carrot and onion (season with soy, oyster sauce, etc., and give a little body with corn starch).

But...

There's bak tong gao - "white sugar pudding."

I haven't made it in ages, but this googled recipe feels reasonable. You absolutely want to use Chinese-style chunk clear sugar for the flavour, though. It will have a yellow cast to it - but it's not the three-layer one. Refined granulated will do, but "raw" sugar (but clear) should be a decent substitute (if more expensive).

I'm not a sweets person, nor a starchy one, but when I see some really well done and fresh ones at a HK bakery, I'll get a piece.
posted by porpoise at 12:06 AM on February 20 [2 favorites]

Horchata?
posted by amtho at 12:50 AM on February 20 [1 favorite]

Have you made some yong tau foo? Cheung fun is a major ingredient - it's basically seafood salad with fish and prawn balls or cakes or tofu in soup or dark sauce. Other than cheung fun you can add other blanched dark greens to the mix. Other than that you can also make a type of laksa called laksam which uses cheung fun for noodles.
posted by cendawanita at 1:18 AM on February 20

Your flour would probably work for ukadiche modak.
posted by athirstforsalt at 1:34 AM on February 20 [1 favorite]

My off the top of my head suggestion is that if you like baking, try mixing it with wheat flour to make baguettes for Bahn Mi.

However, more importantly, where's the recipe for microwave-made cheung fun and is it any good?
posted by Candleman at 10:39 AM on February 20 [3 favorites]

It’s a core ingredient in Pok Pok’s amazing fish sauce chicken wings.
posted by homodachi at 10:56 AM on February 20 [1 favorite]

As a follow up, my favorite way to eat bánh xèo is to wrap it up in a spring roll with fresh herbs (especially mint!) and dip it into nước chấm. I would recommend making sure to add enough oil and doing it in a crepe pan or a cast iron/good stainless steel to get it extra crispy. I also like making my spring rolls a little longer and skinnier so it is easier to eat.
posted by yueliang at 11:18 AM on February 20 [1 favorite]

I use a mix of AP wheat flour and fine rice flour when I want a very tender cookie or muffin- as a replacement for cake flour, I suppose, though I’ve never had cake flour I liked and also altering the proportions for different recipes is useful.
posted by clew at 12:06 PM on February 20

Fair warning for your/other folks's recipe research, rice flour and sweet/glutinous rice flour aren't really interchangeable.
posted by Hollywood Upstairs Medical College at 12:32 PM on February 20 [3 favorites]

Strongly seconding bánh cuốn (my favorite food!) and bánh xèo, and I’d add bánh nạm and bánh béo as well.
posted by bettafish at 7:52 PM on February 20 [1 favorite]

Response by poster: Thank you so much, all of you - I can't wait to try EVERYTHING!
posted by brushtailedphascogale at 3:18 AM on February 21

My favourite Bakewell Tart recipe uses ground rice - the finer texture of the rice flour you have I think would definitely make this worth trying, as you also have the coarse ground almonds. I don't like shortcrust pastry and tend to make 2x fillings and sandwich them together as a cake, which as a bonus is gluten-free, if you have people who are gf.
posted by Vortisaur at 4:23 AM on February 21 [1 favorite]

Appam are really tasty; while they usually employ ground rice, here's a recipe with rice flour that might work with what you have. Great alongside an Indian meal in lieu of rice!
posted by carrienation at 9:27 AM on February 22 [1 favorite]

« Older My employer is trying to keep me on and I want to...   |   Recommend apps for an Apple Watch Newer »