DMARC broke my email

Work just updated server policies and now DMARC no longer allows Gmail's alias option. Previously, I had the "Send and receive messages in my Gmail inbox" option and had the "Treat as an alias" box checked. It was an ideal system to log in once and have both personal and work emails sent/received in one easy, secure way with work emails sent via the work email address.

Now, work emails still come in, but sent mails are blocked with the following error: "550 5.7.26 Unauthenticated email from _______ is not accepted due to domain's DMARC policy. Please contact the administrator of _______ domain if this was a legitimate mail.

Would *really* prefer to not use Outlook or another email client. Any other options to keep work email to continue coming in/out through the personal Gmail account seamlessly?
posted by steve.wdc to Computers & Internet (3 answers total)

Unfortunately, the answer is most likely no. If GMail had the option to send mail through your company email server then what you want might've been possible, but I wasn't able to find such a thing.

(Also, you might check whether your workplace has any policies about using personal GMail for work email the way you have it set up. It's pretty common that workplaces forbid that kind of mixing.)
posted by Aleyn at 11:59 AM on February 18 [3 favorites]

The only way to accomplish this would be to convince your work email admin to add Gmail to your work domain's SPF record and somehow provide Gmail with your DKIM private key, which would allow any Gmail user to spoof the domain.
posted by signalnine at 1:45 PM on February 18 [1 favorite]

This is precisely one of the things that DMARC is designed to prevent. A company who has implemented DMARC clearly wants to make sure that only authorized email is being sent under their name/domain, and I really doubt that they would consider a personal gmail account to qualify. In fact, I'm kind of surprised that a company who is aware enough of these issues to set up DMARC doesn't also have a policy against storing company data in personal accounts, but sometimes companies are weird.

If you do believe that this is something they'd be fine with, you'll need to talk to the person responsible for the DMARC policy about ways to address it.
posted by primethyme at 1:49 PM on February 18 [3 favorites]

« Older Lastpass replacement with specific needs   |   Why have my tears started to hurt my eyes? Newer »