Help me identify this MF song

In 1992 I heard a dance track at camp. What I remember is that the the hook or chorus was a pause, in which the beat stopped and a man emphasized the word "motherfucker." Possibly he said it twice. I don't think it was Prince's "Sexy MF," but it had that same feel and dynamics. Is there another song from the New Jack era that meets this description?
posted by johngoren to Media & Arts (9 answers total)

Are you sure about the year? This has got to be https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_Water_Burn
posted by fritley at 5:58 AM on February 17

Here's a search result on Lyrics.com listing 77 songs containing the MF word, singular, from the 1980s (including 1990). If it's not there, switch the decade selector to the 1990s, which has quite a few more results. Or add the S. Possibly "Empire Builder" fits the bill.
posted by beagle at 6:09 AM on February 17

Around that time there was a chant for the instrumental pauses in "Mony Mony" that you may be remembering. It was big at my camp around then!
posted by warriorqueen at 6:38 AM on February 17 [4 favorites]

If it is that line, it's more likely to be one of the many, many earlier songs that use it. I can't see anyone describing Bloodhound Gang and Prince as having the "same feel."
posted by nebulawindphone at 7:41 AM on February 17 [1 favorite]

Was it EMF's 'EMF'? Second chorus, around 2m10s.
posted by srednivashtar at 8:04 AM on February 17 [3 favorites]

I came in to nominate EMF too!
posted by freya_lamb at 8:57 AM on February 17

I doubt this is it, but my guess is Ween's "I'm in the mood to move". Verse with "motherfuck" begins at 0:20.
posted by unknowncommand at 6:24 PM on February 17

Bloodhound gang is not New Jack...
My guess would be early Dr. Dre, Nate Dog or Similar melodic hip hop from around that time
posted by The_imp_inimpossible at 3:40 AM on February 19

Response by poster: Thanks for all the guesses. I'm going to chalk it up to misremembering what Sexy MF sounded like in 1992 to someone whose sense of what music should be was centered around Use Your Illusion II.
posted by johngoren at 1:21 AM on February 22 [1 favorite]

« Older How to get serious pressure in a massage   |   How did you get rid of cluster flies? Newer »