Is there a Canadian version of the wirecutter?

I love the wirecutter for its ability to save me time and angst while shopping, but as a Canadian, it often really lets me down. Its recommendations are often completely unavailable or so expensive the wirecutter would never recommend them (think 3 to 5 times the USD price). Is there a Canada-specific website like the wirecutter? The wirecutter is pretty general, but maybe I could cobble together recommendations from a set of more specific Canadian recommendation sites?
posted by congen to Shopping (6 answers total) 11 users marked this as a favorite

One thing I've noticed is that sometimes you have to do a bit of comparison shopping for the Wirecutter's recommendations - they often link directly to Amazon, and I find that some things are more likely to be big-box-store-exclusive in Canada, and cheaper at Costco, dedicated stores for that sort of product, and that kind of thing.
posted by sagc at 1:56 PM on February 12 [2 favorites]

Agree with sagc. I'll often take Wirecutter recommendations and then look at Amazon.ca, Best Buy, Home Depot, Walmart, etc for the specific recommended products. Wirecutter gets a ton of affiliate commisions of their direct links to the various retailers, there is nothing that says those are the best places to buy or will be the lowest price.
posted by cgg at 3:15 PM on February 12 [1 favorite]

Response by poster: Please assume I do not just rely on the wirecutter affiliate links and already comparison shop through Canadian retailers (known suspects, googling, and shopping.Google.com) and still find that much of what I’m interested in is unavailable or so expensive that it’s no longer a good pick.
posted by congen at 5:22 PM on February 12 [2 favorites]

Best answer: Consumer reports if you don't have it already
posted by mikek at 5:33 AM on February 13 [1 favorite]

Consumer reports if you don't have it already

Your local library system may have a subscription to Consumer Reports. (Toronto's does.)
posted by rpophessagr at 5:30 PM on February 13

Response by poster: Alas, I already have a consumer reports subscription - and it's great! But it doesn't quite fill the same niche as the wirecutter for smaller goods - robes, towels, commuter gear, etc. Maybe the Canadian market is just too small or overlaps the US market too much for such a thing to profitably exist. Thanks everyone!
posted by congen at 6:52 AM on February 23

« Older Dealing with COVID differences   |   Movie scenes where the characters are as freaked... Newer »