Hello, what can I do with all this edamame?

I had two bags of shelled edamame in my freezer from last March's initial pre-lockdown panic shopping trip. I assumed this would be gross by now so I thawed both bags, intending to then throw it away. However, it's all perfectly fine, and now I have 2 pounds of thawed shelled edamame. Besides randomly snacking on it as I pass through the kitchen, what can I do with it?
posted by something something to Food & Drink (19 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

Best answer: This pesto is pretty good, and way less fat than normal pine-nut pesto.
posted by LionIndex at 3:27 PM on January 29, 2021

I love this really simple Moosewood recipe- Pasta with Broccoli, Edamame and Walnuts. It's a standard at my house. We often add more edamame or mix up the vegetables involved, it's pretty flexible.
posted by charmedimsure at 3:37 PM on January 29, 2021

Edamame hummus!
posted by warriorqueen at 3:47 PM on January 29, 2021 [7 favorites]

Throw it into your favorite stir-fry!
posted by yarntheory at 4:13 PM on January 29, 2021

I am successfully using up all of our Costco edamame with a recipe for kimchi fried rice. Scroll alllll the way down and the recipe is listed here.
posted by stellaluna at 4:18 PM on January 29, 2021 [1 favorite]

Best answer: Roast some for improved snacking!

I am also partial to pasta with butter, a splash of pasta water, seasonings of your choice, cheese (parm on top, or mix in something that melts), and roasted edamame.
posted by esoterrica at 4:24 PM on January 29, 2021 [1 favorite]

Soup!
posted by Dashy at 4:51 PM on January 29, 2021

Please check the instructions on the bag to ensure that these edamame have been cooked before you eat them straight out of the bag; otherwise you should follow the cooking instructions before eating them. Raw edamame contain an enzyme that wreaks holy havoc with human digestion and can be rendered entirely safe by steaming or boiling for 3-4 minutes.
posted by heatherlogan at 4:57 PM on January 29, 2021

Edamame in pasta is delicious! I can't find my exact recipe right now but I love making pasta with edamame, mint, lemon juice, and parmesan (and plenty of olive oil). Delicious hot or cold.
posted by mekily at 5:01 PM on January 29, 2021

sprinkle with grated parm and garlic powder and eat with a spoon
posted by pyro979 at 6:24 PM on January 29, 2021

This edamame avocado dip is delicious!
posted by magicbus at 6:29 PM on January 29, 2021

I made this cold salad the other day. It was fast and tasty.
posted by Wink Ricketts at 7:58 PM on January 29, 2021

mix edamame, feta cheese and dried cranberries - more edamame than anything. add a small glug of olive oil, salt and pepper. back when get-togethers were a thing, this was one of my go-to dishes and it was almost always one of the first things gone.
posted by kerning at 8:15 PM on January 29, 2021

Best answer: Can you bake them or dehydrate them into snacks, esp. if you marinate them in some sort of sauce first?
posted by kschang at 9:17 PM on January 29, 2021

I like to throw in a handful of shelled edamame when I make (instant) soup ramen. It simultaneously increases the bulk, nutrition and perceived fanciness of the meal.
posted by terretu at 4:10 AM on January 30, 2021

Pinch of Yum has a great Thai inspired chopped salad recipe that uses a whole bag of edamame. Especially good with those Thai spiced chili lime cashews from Trader Joe’s! http://pinchofyum.com/chopped-thai-salad-sesame-garlic-dressing
posted by cybrbananapeel at 7:27 AM on January 30, 2021 [1 favorite]

Edamame rice.
Mix edamame into rice (you can cook both together or cook each separately and then combine). Add salt, butter, other flavorings or toppings, etc.
posted by Sockin'inthefreeworld at 6:09 PM on January 30, 2021

I have low standards for edible meals, and so I would have no qualms in bagging it up into single servings, and tossing them back in the freezer. I wouldn't toss it back in en masse, as it'll probably freeze into a solid lump.
posted by kjs4 at 4:59 PM on January 31, 2021

« Older Rice rice baby   |   Hobbies that lend themselves well to... Newer »