If it were a snapshot I'd frame it

I have been saving a short vm on my iphone from a family member who passed away a few months ago.

What is the best (best quality combined with low tech owning) way to preserve this vm, past the life of the phone and the carrier company subscription which I will probably change soon? And share it with other family? Thanks.
posted by nantucket to Computers & Internet (5 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

First thing I'd try is using the Phone app's inbuilt sharing facility to send it to myself as an email. I would expect the result to be an email with an attachment in some standard audio format.
posted by flabdablet at 4:04 AM on January 26, 2021

I’m very sorry for your loss. You can tap on the voicemail, hit the share icon and save the resulting MP3 anywhere you’d like. Apple’s support doc here.
posted by thejoshu at 4:04 AM on January 26, 2021 [3 favorites]

You could actually frame it. Another place.

As far as hosting the mp3 for sharing: Google Drive, Dropbox, Youtube, Soundcloud.
posted by pyro979 at 5:21 AM on January 26, 2021

Yup, you can just export them from the Phone app to Dropbox or whatever. It gets exported as an m4a audio file.
posted by neckro23 at 10:40 AM on January 26, 2021

Send it to yourself first.

I'd also save copies on a flash drive, cloud backup, and maybe even download it to one of those voice greeting cards (you can buy custom ones off Amazon easily for a few bucks and download it yourself).
posted by kschang at 11:10 AM on January 26, 2021

« Older Could you recommend more anime that's like this...   |   How to block light coming out from top of curtain? Newer »