Does this type of writing group exist?

Looking for a virtual writing group specifically for humanities or social sci doctoral students trying to finish their dissertations, more details inside.

I no longer have contacts at my institution for a number of boring reasons, nor am I especially close with any other grad students at roughly the same stage of the writing process as myself. (My social circle is extremely the opposite of academic/scholar types, and I intentionally avoid all social media for mental health reasons). Looking for a group that meets on Zoom a few hours a week or so, no other requirements, but def not interested in groups for other types of writing at the moment.

Please feel free to DM if easier!
posted by CancerSucks to Education (4 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Yes, you want Focusmate (not academic specific though, but I know a lot of grad students/academics who use this). You get three 50min sessions per week for free.
posted by coffeecat at 6:54 PM on January 23 [5 favorites]

There's a company/group called Academic Writing Club for exactly this purpose.
posted by Tomorrowful at 7:15 PM on January 23 [1 favorite]

Shut Up and Write is an accountability org that helps set up local sessions. I used to go to a weekly session at a local bakeshop, pre covid, and there were usually 1-2 grad students working on papers or dissertations. Other people might be working on novels or screenplays or whatever, it's just a community of local writers who want time to, well, Shut up and write.

They've continued via Zoom in this era, so I guess you could even join a non local group if it fits your schedule. Or host a write-in yourself!
posted by basalganglia at 4:29 AM on January 24 [1 favorite]

https://www.facultydiversity.org/ has regular writing challenges and has recently expanded their content for grad students and post docs. Check if you have an institutional membership.
posted by momus_window at 8:30 AM on January 25

« Older Are third party Apostille services legit?   |   Tell me how you disengage your anxiety spiral Newer »