Career options for a UK tax specialist moving to the US?

US Americans working in finance-related jobs, what career options are available for someone who has experience working at a UK firm?

My spouse (31M, UK citizen) and I (30F, US citizen) live in the UK and are planning to move to the US within the next year to be closer to family.

We’re exploring career options for him in the US. He is a senior tax manager for a fairly large (not big 4) firm in the UK working in private client services. He has also worked as a tax inspector for HMRC in the past.

- We’re not familiar with the finance industry in the US especially when it comes to salary expectations and career progression, so any insight would be much appreciated. We will most likely be moving to Chicago.

- The obvious option seems to be to work in public accounting. Is there any possibility that he can find a job that isn’t an entry-level position given his prior experience? Or is it expected that he would pretty much have to start over?

- Is there any benefit to getting a CPA license at this point?

- Other career options we could consider?

- Other resources we can pose this question to?
posted by anonymous to Work & Money (4 answers total)

All kinds of private US companies do business and have employees in the UK. I work for one of them. In Chicago, no less. We have to contract an external finance team in the UK to deal with that stuff, and our UK business right now is small enough that still makes sense. But I can absolutely see UK tax knowledge being valuable to larger US based companies with more of a UK presence.
posted by phunniemee at 7:38 AM on January 22 [3 favorites]

Not just companies, but also for expats that need to deal with two separate tax systems. It's a larger market than most realize.
posted by wile e at 10:46 AM on January 22

Is there any possibility that he can find a job that isn’t an entry-level position given his prior experience?

Yes. Reach into the ex-pat community. I'm sure there are groups and message boards. Within that broad community, your target is residents of the US with a UK tax liability or vice versa. Ask them where they get their tax advice. Apply to those companies.

Yes. Some employers may require it. Even if not, it adds cred. It shows you are taking your career seriously in your new country.

posted by John Borrowman at 11:46 AM on January 22

I work for a large financial tech and services firm in the US, but they are based in the UK and I work with a number or Brits who have moved to Amsterdam, the US , etc. if working for a multinational is acceptable that could be a good choice.
posted by freecellwizard at 6:35 PM on January 22

« Older How do you slowly distance yrself from toxic...   |   Wifi/Internet problems with MBP - fixed by... Newer »