Knitterfilter

I am making a pinwheel blanket that begins with casting on 5 stitches on double pointed needles, then joining them in the round. I would love some help.

(The pattern says to use 5 dp needles but I only have 4 ;/). On each even row you increase with a f/b per stitch, so each even row doubles the amount of stitches. The last time I knit this type of blanket was probably 10 years ago...can someone help? It's such a small amount of stitches to start with that it's throwing me off.
NB: I have watched a few youtube videos but they all involve several more stitches.
posted by bookworm4125 to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (8 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Ugh! I would do it using the Magic Loop technique. Casting on 5 sts on DPNs sounds awful, but if you are committed, 3 needles is necessary and sufficient. Cast on 2 sts on one needle, 2 sts on the next, then 1 on the last. Then to join in the round, you'll knit use your 4th needle to knit into the first stitch you cast on. Then knit the second stitch off that first needle--your 1st needle is now free, having been replaced by your 4th needle. Now use that 1st needle to knit off the 2nd needle, then use the 2nd needle to knit off the 3rd. For your second round, you'll do the same except do your kfbs.

I'm questioning this pattern, though. If you double your stitches every other row, you'll end up in hyperbolic territory very quickly. Rule of thumb, to knit a circle you double the stitches on the 2nd row, then the 4th, then the 8th, then the 16th, then the 32nd, and so on.

Good luck.
posted by rikschell at 1:54 PM on January 18, 2021 [3 favorites]

Response by poster: Ack, sorry (not to threadsit), you are right, rikschell--it is just increasing for every even row either with a f/b or a yarn over. I will try it the way you described--thanks!
posted by bookworm4125 at 1:59 PM on January 18, 2021

Casting on 5 sts in the round is awful either way (though magic loop is much better!) so I recommend cheating. Make a short length of i-cord 5 sts around, work the pattern increases until it's a manageable number of sts, then undo the i-cord from the other end, cut off the excess and weave it in.
posted by zeptoweasel at 2:09 PM on January 18, 2021 [5 favorites]

I think it's doable.I would cast on all 5 on 1 dpn and then divide them up. I would keep 1 stitch on needle one, slide 2, 3, 4, and 5 on the 2nd needle. and then from the 2nd needle slide 4 & 5 onto needle 3. and then I would slide 5 from needle 3 onto the original needle so you can sandwich in a stitch marker between 5 and 1 to mark your rows. once you're sure your stitches aren't twisted then knit into 1 to join the circle. and then (unless it says otherwise) I would finish knitting the round and call it round 1 and then start the increases on round 2. it'll be fiddly and tight and difficult for the first few rows but I think you can do it.
posted by simplethings at 3:51 PM on January 18, 2021 [1 favorite]

You could try the pinhole cast on; it’s a little fussy at first but way easier than joining a normal cast on with a tiny number of stitches.
posted by firefleet at 4:24 PM on January 18, 2021

I’ve done this a couple of ways. You can skip the very start and cast on 10 and at the end, weave the tail through and pull tight, which makes hardly any difference to most projects of this type. You can knit the first few rows flat and seam it with the tail at the end (also possible to do pretty invisibly). Or you can cast on and join over just two needles, which makes things more manageable, and put one section on a third needle when it gets large enough to be less unwieldy. The best thing about this kind of caston is that at least you have a manageable number of stitches in short order. I like zeptoweasel’s suggestion, too.
posted by tchemgrrl at 4:58 PM on January 18, 2021 [1 favorite]

Response by poster: I did magic loop! Thanks all. It's kinda wonky though and has a big hole bc I'm not used to knitting in the round so I may frog it and start again!
posted by bookworm4125 at 9:54 PM on January 18, 2021 [1 favorite]

I'm working on a similar blanket right now and started it with Magic Loop. If you do frog it then make sure you're using VERY bendy circulars for ML, it really makes all the difference. I'm using Gingers right now and I'm pretty pleased with them.
posted by The Librarian at 4:47 PM on January 19, 2021

« Older How to paint wood floors   |   Is remote/virtual physical therapy diagnosis... Newer »