Kitchen Faucet suggestions

I need a new kitchen faucet. Are there brands or styles that are more reliable?

I haven't found review sites that seem reliable, and Consumer Reports faucet page was last updated 2016.

I'm not looking for the absolute top of the line in terms of budget, but I'm expecting to pay around $300-500.

posted by Endure You Are Not Alone to Home & Garden (15 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

My faucet was a cheapie but with the pull down sprayer thing, $150 4 years ago, and no issues. I think in the $300-500 range, you should be good in terms of quality and you are mostly paying for style.
posted by The_Vegetables at 11:36 AM on December 10, 2020 [1 favorite]

$300-$500 is plenty to get top quality. If you're spending more than that, you're just paying for fashion.

The better-known brands like Moen, Kohler, Grohe, Price-Pfister, etc. are more likely to be able to provide replacement parts over the long term. A lot of the cheap fly-by-night brands are basically disposable.
posted by jon1270 at 11:45 AM on December 10, 2020 [3 favorites]

Many (most?) plumbing companies now produce at least two lines -- their "real" product, and another very similar line that's been cheaped out for sale at HD/Lowes/etc.

This does not mean you can't find a decent faucet at a big box store, I'm just mentioning it because whenever I read bad reviews of Delta, Moen, et cetera, it's pretty much always one of their big box models, not the "actual" models. Plastic components instead of ceramic, that kind of thing.

Delta and Moen both have substantial warranties on some of their models, so buy one of those and you should be set to go. I also like Hansgrohe (Grohe is a different company I haven't used).
posted by aramaic at 11:47 AM on December 10, 2020 [3 favorites]

I had a very poor experience with a Kohler, despite their extravagant claim about "for life". They wanted me to pay for a replacement cartridge out of pocket and I declined to give them the satisfaction. Anything from a big box store brand has leaked within a decade and some had the finish fail within a year, despite barely being used. I have had good experiences with Moen and Hans Grohe. Per year I'm not even convinced they're any more expensive than junk grade.
posted by wnissen at 12:28 PM on December 10, 2020

You didn't ask this, but in that price range you might be tempted to get a touch on/off faucet. My office had one (back when people had to go to work) and it's literally the dumbest modern product I've ever used. It basically requires the same amount of effort as a single handle to turn it on, it just keeps your temperature setting, like that is a big deal in the kitchen. And it ran out of batteries once, so the touchless functionality didn't work.

In my opinion, avoid.
posted by The_Vegetables at 12:45 PM on December 10, 2020 [3 favorites]

Price-Pfister was ruined by venture capital and I wouldn't include them in a list of reliable brands now. (By the same token, avoid American Standard). I'd trust Moen, Delta, Grohe, and probably Kohler (our toilets are from a Kohler sub-brand and I'm still wary of the idiosyncratic design of the tank-to-bowl seal after having to replace two, but their faucets always seem fine). I've never tried Hansgrohe but I've also never heard bad things about them. We've got a Grohe bath/shower set and it has been fantastic. We just put a new Moen faucet (from Costco, of all places) on our bathroom sink after the old builder-grade faucet failed, and our builder-grade kitchen faucet is clearly going to be the next to go. Moen and Delta have the same warranty on all their stuff no matter where it's sold, so I'm not sure I believe that the big box hardware store parts from those brands are actually different.

I don't think there are any brands that don't exclude the cartridge from the lifetime warranty. The cartridge is always a consumable, replaceable part. I mean, I guess if a cartridge seemed to fail young I might complain, but that's never happened to me.
posted by fedward at 12:47 PM on December 10, 2020

If reliability is what you are looking skip the residential gear entirely and go for a commercial faucet. T&S Brass might give any restaurant worker flashbacks when they see it but they are built to a much higher standard and parts are available for years.
posted by zenon at 1:37 PM on December 10, 2020

My husband is a plumber, and we just reno'd our bathroom with Kohler fixtures purchased at Lowe's. He also said Moen or Delta would be ok. Brands that were disallowed: Price Pfister, American Standard, Grohe, and anything that I hadn't heard of. This was because of quality and also availability of parts.
posted by little king trashmouth at 2:11 PM on December 10, 2020 [4 favorites]

These recommendations are great and what I would say. One thing I would add that's easy to check is, when you check out this or that faucet on Lowes or whatever hardware store, just scroll down a bit and see if there are replacement parts listed. If they're cheap, ordinary brands that's a good sign that the faucet uses standard sizes and threads and so on. We called in a plumber one time who complained about our Chicago Faucets fixtures because they used some non-standard parts - reliable but hard to repair, I guess. Just always better to know you can get the parts for five bucks at ten places in the city, not fifty bucks special ordered from the company itself.
posted by BlackLeotardFront at 2:12 PM on December 10, 2020 [3 favorites]

Backing up little king trashmouth's husband: when we scheduled a plumber to install our Grohe tub and shower kit the dispatcher on the phone ignored everything I said except the words "tub and shower" and sent a guy out who had other jobs to do after ours. He took one look at the parts and installation instructions and said "I can't do this today." He came back a day or two later with two assistants and it took them an entire day. He was impressed by the quality of everything but said he'd never seen anything like it. I don't know if their kitchen faucets would be as complicated.
posted by fedward at 7:53 PM on December 10, 2020

We had a talkative plumber recently to fix some pipes and we got to discussing our kitchen faucet and possibly replacing it. He was of the opinion that Delta was great; Kohler “would maybe be great, if they spent as much on their product as they do on making flashy ads for their products.” We picked out a Delta faucet and it is indeed great.
posted by castlebravo at 9:16 PM on December 10, 2020

I had a plumber install a Kohler kitchen faucet about 10 years ago. It performed flawlessly until this year, when it developed a leak. I called Kohler, and they sent me the parts I needed to fix the problem for free. They didn't even ask me to produce proof of purchase or anything. So I'd recommend Kohler.
posted by crLLC at 11:11 AM on December 11, 2020

Get one with a touch sensor! They are a bit more expensive but I moved into a house with one, and I absolutely loved it.
posted by dazedandconfused at 8:48 AM on December 12, 2020

I installed this Delta faucet three years ago and absolutely love it both for style and functionality.
posted by (Over) Thinking at 1:06 PM on December 12, 2020

I ended up getting a Grohe from a local plumbing supply. I removed the old faucet and installed the new one in about two hours, including a trip back to the plumbing supply to get an adapter for different size hot & cold lines. The installation wasn't particularly complicated, but I have short arms which makes working under our sink go slowly.

I wanted to get a Franke faucet, as they were the only brand (we also looked at Delta, Moen, or Kohler) that was actually made of metal and not just coated plastic, but I got a spouse veto because of aesthetics. It was very similar looking to the faucet (Over) Thinking posted.

Thank you everyone for all your answers!
posted by Endure You Are Not Alone at 12:13 PM on December 18, 2020

« Older Good digital thermometer for adults?   |   New Downstairs Neighbors Smokers, Nightowls, Sound... Newer »