Depression antidotes in small doses

I'm looking for brief positive things to share with friends who are having a tough time.

YouTube clips, jokes, quotes, poems, (short) articles, cartoons, photos, art, songs, memes ... anything humorous, adorable or encouraging that's accessible online. Spiritual stuff okay.
posted by bunderful to Media & Arts (15 answers total) 24 users marked this as a favorite

Someone I follow on the interwebs took a quick picture of her new rescue dog when they were on a walk and behold, it turns out he is a magical being with a rainbow aura.
posted by needs more cowbell at 5:14 PM on November 27, 2020 [2 favorites]

Check out On The Road with Steve Hartman.
posted by gudrun at 6:07 PM on November 27, 2020 [1 favorite]

From Bizarro - When Cats Inherit the Earth

Two of my favorite 'Stella is a Dog' videos: One and Two
posted by goodsearch at 6:18 PM on November 27, 2020 [1 favorite]

Happy - Pharrel Williams (this is the video with all the different people dancing, I find it uplifting
posted by Serene Empress Dork at 6:34 PM on November 27, 2020

This list of wholesome photos
posted by Serene Empress Dork at 6:37 PM on November 27, 2020 [1 favorite]

This American Pie lipdub by the city of Grand Rapids always makes me smile.

And to this day, this is the funniest video I've seen on the internet.
posted by mekily at 6:40 PM on November 27, 2020 [2 favorites]

The eclectic and amazing blog Messy Nessy Chic.
posted by j_curiouser at 6:46 PM on November 27, 2020 [1 favorite]

I’m a fan of zooborns.com — new baby animals from zoos around the world. YMMV if you are depressed by zoos.
posted by Hypatia at 6:55 PM on November 27, 2020

Best answer: When I saw Jojo Rabbit, there is a quote onscreen at the end of the movie (not a spoiler) which I find quite profound.

“Let everything happen to you
Beauty and terror
Just keep going
No feeling is final”

― Rainer Maria Rilke

It's not uplifting in the happy, jokey way but it means a lot to me to just remember that line, "no feeling is final."
posted by NotTheRedBaron at 7:04 PM on November 27, 2020 [12 favorites]

I keep a copy of this letter from Sydney Smith to Lady Georgiana Morpeth in my wallet to read when I'm feeling low.
posted by vespabelle at 7:23 PM on November 27, 2020 [7 favorites]

if you're not already, give them a spontaneous call , voice or facetime or what have you.
posted by elgee at 10:43 AM on November 28, 2020

Thousands of things here ; sort by top (daily, weekly , monthly) then pass on a few
posted by lalochezia at 1:32 PM on November 30, 2020

I wish I knew what you found funny.

In the UK we have a dark sense of humour. I will tentatively link the moment on Celebrity Big Brother when David Bowie's ex-wife Angie came out of the diary room and hit housemate Tiffany Pollard with the news that "David's dead". The only trouble was there was another David who was actually in the house - David Gest. They all head to the bedroom to pull down the duvet covers down from a blissfully unaware and sleeping David Gest.

Otherwise we have a series of BBC gaffes (bloopers) which also includes the infamous empty BBC News chair.

My ultimate favourite BBC News mistake is this introduction of Nicola Sturgeon, however.

There's also the time that the BBC accidentally grabbed someone waiting for a job interview and put him in front of the camera thinking he was an internet expert... much to his surprise.

This is not British but I thought these news gaffes were funny too.
posted by ihaveyourfoot at 12:09 PM on December 1, 2020

« Older How do I counteract these cleaning product fumes?   |   Looking for the finest, cheapest Chromebook (or... Newer »