How and where to find details about moving to Norway?

Asking for a dear friend. They would need to be able to work and have some type of open-ended/long-term residency status. They don't have a job that they can do from abroad and don't have enough savings to live off of for the rest of their life.

Friend has no relatives there now or previously (knowing that some countries have a family/ancestry "in"). They are guessing this move would be hard, but they want to *focus on what it would take*. Friend's preferred option/goal would be to obtain permanent residency and citizenship. They are not yet fluent in Norwegian.

Are there websites that spell out what would be involved? Does friend need to consult some kind of expatriation specialist?

Are there creative (yet legal) alternatives to making such a move? For example, going there to study and then networking/job hunting...

If you have any direct experience of doing this or know of accounts on how to accomplish it, please share. TIA!
posted by dancing leaves to Law & Government (7 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

What’s your friend’s citizenship?
posted by mskyle at 1:49 PM on November 10, 2020 [1 favorite]

They could start with the Norwegian embassy in the US (if they are American) and also this visa/residency page from Norway. Have they looked over the information from Norway directly?
posted by bluedaisy at 1:49 PM on November 10, 2020

For starters, I'm going to assume they've visited multiple times and know this is the place they want to go, like have a specific city or region in mind?

What's their educational background? Here is some information on studying in Norway. Could they teach English? What's their career now? How much money do they have to support themselves? I know it's not enough to live on but there's a big difference in what you can do with $1000 versus $10,000, etc. Could they work as a nanny or au pair? This move would be very, very hard but certainly could happen with enough planning and flexibility plus adequate money for initial expenses.
posted by smorgasbord at 1:50 PM on November 10, 2020

Does your friend have an Irish grandparent or Italian ancestry? If so they may be able to apply for citizenship of those countries and then take advantage of freedom of movement rules. (Norway is not in the EU but some freedom of movement does apply.)
posted by plonkee at 2:07 PM on November 10, 2020 [1 favorite]

I would definitely recommend studying there if that's an option. I think most programs are still free even for international students. Once they're there, it's easier to make connections to get a job (or possibly meet a Norwegian spouse).
posted by pinochiette at 2:22 PM on November 10, 2020 [1 favorite]

This is a question that comes up so often on the r/Norway subreddit that there is a stickied post with tons of information. I skimmed it and it looked like there was some helpful stuff there. I live in Norway, so if there are any questions you can always memail and I'll try my best to answer them :)
posted by 73pctGeek at 1:02 AM on November 11, 2020 [1 favorite]

I taught English in Norway. I only got about 5 hours a week because they all speak English already so I would look for some other way. Studying in Norway is free but your friend would need to have enough for their living expenses. A lot of people get there as au pairs and continue on.
posted by pairofshades at 1:11 AM on November 11, 2020

« Older Surfing on Oahu   |   Giving the gift of vinegar Newer »