URGENT How to save a young sea lion that's stranded on the beach?

There's a juvenile sea lion on a beach near me. He rolled down a dune away from the ocean front. He's barely moving. It's hot. He's been there for a few hours. I spoke with the cops and navy, they're not doing anything. I'm thinking of rolling him onto a towel, grabbing it with one person on each end and dumping him in the ocean. Does this make sense? Is it dangerous to him or to me?
posted by signal to Pets & Animals (6 answers total)

Response by poster: He just got up and walked about a meter in the wrong direction.
posted by signal at 10:54 AM on November 8, 2020

If you're in the US, here are the relevant contact numbers.
posted by 100kb at 11:03 AM on November 8, 2020 [1 favorite]

Response by poster: Not in the us. Thanks for the info, we decided to leave him alone.
posted by signal at 11:09 AM on November 8, 2020 [2 favorites]

Best answer: If the location information in your profile is correct (and he doesn't get back in the water), the second group mentioned in this list of marine mammal stranding network members may be able to help him, or might know who could.

Crossing my fingers.
posted by virago at 1:26 PM on November 8, 2020 [2 favorites]

Response by poster: virago: good eye. I called them, they were aware and monitoring him, said it's normal, and if he was still there tomorrow they'd take him to a vet.
posted by signal at 1:43 PM on November 8, 2020 [24 favorites]

Thank you for caring and being willing to help, whilst also (and here's the tricky part) not doing any harm accidentally.
posted by WalkerWestridge at 1:23 PM on November 9, 2020 [2 favorites]

« Older Socially distant Sedona   |   Why won't THIS phone see THIS quadcopter? Newer »