Reme Halo?
November 2, 2020 2:48 PM   Subscribe

Does anyone have experience with/opinions on the Reme Halo air purifier?

After finding a tiny bit of mold in our air handler, our HVAC person is suggesting we install this Reme Halo air purification gizmo. It certainly looks like a nifty solution to molds, pollens, bacteria, etc. in the heating/cooling system. The price, though, is on the salty side (hvac person is quoting about $1100 installed)

Do any mefites have experience with this (or similar) systems? Good? Bad? Indifferent?

Thanks!
posted by Thorzdad to Home & Garden (2 answers total)

Best answer: Their paper on how the technology works cites wikipedia. High school students aren't even allowed to do that. I would look elsewhere.
posted by TheAdamist at 3:32 PM on November 2, 2020 [2 favorites]

Best answer: From the product site:

The redesigned and improved REME HALO® whole home in-duct HVAC unit features higher ionized hydroperoxide output, which gives faster kill rates for...

So, about that. The document below is published by the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE).

Position Document on Filtration and Air Cleaning (pdf). It states:

Attention must be paid to certain air-cleaning technologies that claim to produce radicals (e.g.,hydroperoxy, peroxy, and hydroxyl radicals) that become airborne (gaseous state) as a means of effecting air cleaning/treatment. These species are ROS and are well known to be very short-lived in the gas-phase (airborne). Few studies in the peer-reviewed literature, if any, have measured these radicals in the gas phase as a means of an effective air treatment with such air-cleaning technologies.

I'm not an HVAC engineer, but I'm related to a mechanical engineer who does large-scale HVAC system work (e.g., hospitals, large commercial buildings), and who has a perpetual bee in his bonnet about dubious/ineffective indoor air quality (IAQ) devices/solutions and claims surrounding them, particularly given the pandemic. This looks like one of them.

Also, if you had mould in your air handling unit, it's likely due to condensate that was sitting because it wasn't being drained away properly.
posted by mandolin conspiracy at 5:21 PM on November 2, 2020 [1 favorite]

« Older Professional blog writing & how not to vomit...   |   Happy hour deliveries to my remote work team? Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments