Macfilter: can only get on WiFi if I run Wireless Diagnostics

My MacBookPro (16-inch, 2019, with 2.3GHz 8-core Intel Core i9 running Catalina 10.15.6) has suddenly developed a problem connecting to WiFi. About 1/3 of the time it cannot find any WiFi networks unless I run Wireless Diagnostics. It is not a distance issue or an issue with the WiFi network as this has happened in four separate places. In all of those places, I had connected before that very day, and re-opened my laptop to find zero networks in my WiFi listings. Turning it off and on again doesn't help. I assume it is a software rather than hardware issue since it does find all networks once I run Wireless Diagnostics. Any ideas?
posted by rednikki to Computers & Internet (5 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Hmm, have you tried Resetting the PRAM/SMC?
posted by foxfirefey at 5:45 PM on October 15

Booting into Safe Mode and then rebooting back into normal mode can sometimes clear up issues like this. When you boot into Safe Mode, the kernal cache and some other system caches get deleted, which may resolve problems like you're having.
posted by theory at 6:00 PM on October 15

I'm not 100% positive, but there's a command-line tool called airport that might be the CLI that runs underneath the graphical Wireless Diagnostics app. A quick glance at the options suggests some overlap in functionality.

You might see if you can "wake up" your AirPort/WiFi adapter via this tool, or use airport prefs to interrogate WiFi settings (see the bottom of the linked page). Tweaking settings might be useful in case one is set (for whatever reason) to a preference that would otherwise disable your adapter or disassociate it from any networks that it would otherwise automatically join.
posted by They sucked his brains out! at 12:59 AM on October 16

10.15.7 has some Wi-Fi fixes : link
posted by soylent00FF00 at 3:38 PM on October 16

And my laptop just updated to 10.15.7 overnight! Perhaps my problem will be solved. So far so good...
posted by rednikki at 4:22 PM on October 16

« Older Looking for a Photo Blog from Long Ago   |   Websites & blogs focusing on television/sitcom... Newer »