Gym Playlist Suggestions Sought

After reading and really loving the Christmas music suggestion question, I thought I should come to the fine folk of MetaFilter to ask for some new gym songs. My playlist is weird, my coach is tired of it (LOL), and it needs some freshening up. The last question was a couple years ago, and there is a lot of music out there.

You can peruse my current playlist here. I lift, I'm not doing cardio to these tunes, so BPM is not important.

I do not want Rage Against the Machine or stereotypical Dude-Bro metal. I have been through that phase and I don't find Rage appealing at the gym (in the literal or Tom Morello sense).

Songs I do like, if you don't want to look at the Spotify link or cannot:

The Best, Tina Turner
DNCE, DNCE
Tempo, Lizzo
Helpless, the Regrettes
Black Rose, Volbeat
Black Me Out, Against Me!
Tellin' Lies, The Menzingers
Woman, Kesha

I love Frank Turner and Murder By Death but so far, I don't find any of their stuff to be especially amenable to the gym.

I like upbeat, I like fun or even funny (but no Weird Al please). I like driving beats. I like all the music on that playlist but we're all tired of it. HALP. Thank you.
posted by Medieval Maven to Media & Arts (9 answers total) 7 users marked this as a favorite

Just throwing a few guesses based on the playlist, but Big Freedia's "Karaoke" (feat. Lizzo) seems like it might be a natural fit here, along with Sloan's "Money City Maniacs" and "Underwhelmed."
posted by mandolin conspiracy at 2:36 PM on October 14 [1 favorite]

Janelle Monáe, “Turntables”

Wolf Saga, “Keep Dancing”

Icona Pop (feat. Charlie XCX), “I Love It”

Sia (feat. Sean Paul), “Cheap Thrills”
posted by hurdy gurdy girl at 2:49 PM on October 14 [1 favorite]

You might not need more Lizzo but Good As Hell and Juice are both total jams.
posted by charmedimsure at 3:32 PM on October 14 [5 favorites]

I love your gym playlist and it includes many of the same artists as mine, though not necessarily the same songs.

Other ideas:

Screaming Females—It All Means Nothing

Metric—Help, I’m Alive

The New Pornographers—Miss Teen Wordpower and/or Mass Romantic

Ted Leo and the Pharmacists—Where Have all the Rude Boys Gone?

Ida Maria—Oh My God and/or I Eat Boys Like You for Breakfast

Nicki Minaj—Starships
posted by ActionPopulated at 3:43 PM on October 14 [1 favorite]

A fine selection of Kings of Leon for their driving rock is about the best thing for erging a 10K.
I still listen to Jimmy Eat World's cover of Crimson and Clover for similar high intensity purposes, but shorter pieces.
I like Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies for a variety of pop punk covers - particularly Goodbye Earl.
On warm-ups and early morning pieces, I like The Baseballs for pure rockabilly awesomeness.
And when I need some edge: Shonen Knife is good for a... wtf are you listening to?
posted by Nanukthedog at 4:42 PM on October 14

Tilted by Christine and the Queens
Supalonely by Benee
posted by speakeasy at 4:00 AM on October 15

This Throwback Jams one is great, I especially love the No Diggity Remix
posted by atlantica at 11:42 AM on October 15 [1 favorite]

Wait sorry the Remix is this one
posted by atlantica at 11:46 AM on October 15 [1 favorite]

Ciara - Level Up
posted by Julnyes at 12:56 PM on October 15 [1 favorite]

« Older Critical Role - skip ahead?   |   Non US regional specialties, food edition Newer »