Something tastes like victory!

Does anyone know what movie (or other work) this "tastes like victory" gif came from? Kind of doubt he's even saying that, but curious anyway: https://giphy.com/gifs/memecandy-l3rWrZFewa5pfVSCX4

posted by theredpen to Media & Arts (13 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Is it a riff of Full Metal Jacket’s take on the smell of burning napalm?
posted by armoir from antproof case at 2:23 PM on October 1, 2020

Sorry, not FMJ, but Apocalypse Now
posted by armoir from antproof case at 2:24 PM on October 1, 2020 [1 favorite]

Seconding it being a twist on Kilgore in Apocalypse Now.

(on preview: damnit -- even the same clip!)
posted by myotahapea at 2:27 PM on October 1, 2020

I think theredpen is asking about the source of the actual video, not the text below it.

(B&W film, man with slightly wavy hair and tie sipping at what's possibly a cup of tea with a tea bag. Distinctive triangular windows and something like a rotating dish are in the background.)
posted by zamboni at 2:30 PM on October 1, 2020

The triangular windows, rotating dish and the apparatus with a wire/hose to the right of the image make me think that it's a science fiction film. Black and white suggests it's from before 1960.
posted by zamboni at 2:36 PM on October 1, 2020

The windows look like the bombardier's window on a WWII plane, and the hairstyle and B&W add to that.
posted by theora55 at 3:30 PM on October 1, 2020

Best answer: I am fairly confident this is Richard Webb as Captain Midnight, probably finishing up an ovaltine commercial.

I also want you to know that this question has ABSOLUTELY ABSORBED the last 40 minutes of my life. Thank you for the entertainment.
posted by phunniemee at 3:35 PM on October 1, 2020 [17 favorites]

Well, it takes time to decode the secret message.
posted by RobotVoodooPower at 4:22 PM on October 1, 2020

Response by poster: Holy crap, this is not only a great answer but for me a hilarious answer and follow-up. I am so glad if phunniemee and anyone else got some entertainment value out of it!

Also I am relieved to have this itch scratched. I work in a building something like his background and am just waiting for the right time to spring this gif on someone.

Going back to watching his lip movements a few more times.

Thank you all!
posted by theredpen at 6:42 AM on October 2, 2020 [1 favorite]

Response by poster: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul62oRavxZM
posted by theredpen at 6:46 AM on October 2, 2020 [3 favorites]

Oh man, I'm so glad you found the og commercial.

This question was a perfect storm for me. If my enemies ever wanted to bait me into a trap, it would look very much like this question.

I had never seen the guy before, and the set didn't look familiar, but it had enough specific clues in it that I FELT like I should be able to figure it out. Mid century futurism is one of my favorite aesthetics (even if I've never been able to stand watching any of the actual media, Twilight Zone excepted), and this gif has all the elements of something I would drink right up like a hot nutritious mug of Ovaltine.
posted by phunniemee at 7:31 AM on October 2, 2020 [2 favorites]

Response by poster: On the mid-century futurism thing: same here! I will send you a message about my workplace—you will love it. Basically just like the commercial, sadly without the Ovaltine. Great detective work!
posted by theredpen at 11:36 PM on October 3, 2020 [1 favorite]

« Older Should I want 5G in a phone?   |   How can I best help prevent this SCOTUS... Newer »