What states have medical prescribing reciprocity with New York State?

I have to move to a state that has medical reciprocity with New York State. I cannot find the list and my doctor hasn't been responsive, but. he says there are 30+ states. My doctor needs to be able to see what medications I am getting in his office in New York State, while I move somewhere more affordable. I'm currently in Oregon, but they don't have reciprocity with NYS, but Washington State does. How can I find the list of all the states that share medical information, including prescriptions, with New York State? The doctor says over 30 states are on that list. I need this so I can figure out where I can move.
posted by Kombucha3452 to Law & Government (7 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Response by poster: P.S. And - what states have looser/more lenient reciprocity with regards to filling meds from a New York state doctor who will be prescribing pain meds to taper me off of them?
posted by Kombucha3452 at 11:32 AM on September 25, 2020

A friend from New York used LAGS in Portland to taper off her meds and they were able to deal with all the hurdles that came up.
posted by bink at 12:21 PM on September 25, 2020

I think your best bet will be to speak to your pharmacist first and then speak to a pharmacist in the town you want to move to. It's against federal regulations to fill an out-of-state narcotics prescription IIRC, however there are sometimes exceptions for geographically-adjacent states. This is going to be really hard. I'm sorry you're going through it.
posted by tatiana wishbone at 12:21 PM on September 25, 2020 [1 favorite]

I've been in practice for nearly a decade and have never heard of a "medical reciprocity list." A medical license is state-by-state; unlike law licenses, there is no reciprocity, because that would be lost revenue for the state medical boards (several hundred dollars per physician per year pays for a lot of "weekend retreats")

That said, I have had no problem sending e-prescriptions to out-of-state pharmacies (including controlled substances), both before and during the pandemic. These are for patients with whom I have a bona fide ongoing physician-patient relationship; they just happen to live in Other State and drive 6+ hours.

There are some updates to telemedicine regulations due to covid. Perhaps that's what they meant by reciprocity?
posted by basalganglia at 2:48 PM on September 25, 2020 [4 favorites]

That said, I have had no problem sending e-prescriptions to out-of-state pharmacies (including controlled substances), both before and during the pandemic.

I can concur and have been in other states and filled prescriptions for Schedule II drugs in NYC without an issue or anyone following up with me.
posted by geoff. at 4:42 PM on September 25, 2020

Best answer: You mention pain meds-is the issue that your NY doctor wants to be able to look you up in your new home state’s Prescription Drug Monitoring Program (PDMP)? A PDMP is a statewide database that allows providers to check whether a person has multiple prescribers of certain controlled medications. That’s a common feature of pain management contracts-that you will be subject to random urinalysis and PDMP monitoring. Each PDMP is maintained by a single state, but there might be a way for some states to see other states’ PDMPs. Maybe that’s the “30 states” thing your doctor meant?
posted by little mouth at 5:49 PM on September 25, 2020 [3 favorites]

It appears that 45 states now are part of that, including Oregon: https://nabp.pharmacy/newsroom/news/new-states-added-national-network-prescription-drug-monitoring-programs/
Your doc may just have old info
posted by sandmanwv at 8:56 PM on September 25, 2020

« Older Music To Grade To   |   Ironic song about being killed by an indie icon Newer »