No youtube notifications any more?

Hi everyone; I used to receive email notifications when a video was released on youtube,the ones I subscribe to. All of a sudden,I don't get those emails any more. Does anybody know why? Is this a new youtube policy? Thanks :-)
posted by LOOKING to Computers & Internet (6 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

i've noticed the same thing. also looking for an explanation.
posted by ydaltak at 2:27 PM on September 22

Glad I'm not alone in this,lol.
posted by LOOKING at 2:29 PM on September 22

Go to youtube.com
Click the bell icon (notifications)
Click the gear icon (settings)
Scroll down to Email Notifications
Is permission is enabled? ("Send me emails about my YouTube activity and updates I requested")

I believe at some point they changed settings so users had to opt back in to receiving email notifications.
posted by bluecore at 2:49 PM on September 22

YouTube stopped sending email notifications due to low usage.

If you want notifications, you'll either need the mobile app or to turn on desktop notifications from youtube.com
posted by thefoxgod at 2:51 PM on September 22 [2 favorites]

Oh wow, I guess by "my YouTube activity and updates I requested" they mean your youtube channel and not the channels to which you subscribe? Wish they made that clearer in the settings page. Bummer.
posted by bluecore at 2:57 PM on September 22

If you can get the channel ID (usually part of the URL), then a YouTube channel's RSS feed is at:

https://www.youtube.com/feeds/videos.xml?channel_id=[channelID]

If you take that and plug it into a service like IFTTT, Zapier, or Blogtrottr, you could get e-mail notifications of new videos.
posted by metabaroque at 4:15 PM on September 22 [2 favorites]

« Older Google Hangouts SMS trouble   |   Book on analog game design? Newer »