Need a new car title.
March 21, 2006 10:56 PM   Subscribe

I've lost my vehicle title and need a new one. But where is the original?

I bought my car in florida and own it. I moved to alabama for a few years and got an alabama car tag. I've moved back to florida now and I can't fine the title. Do I apply for a copy in florida, where the car was bought and paid for, or did it follow me to alabama? I'm sure it's simple, but i'm confused, as you can tell.
posted by gtr to Law & Government (5 answers total)
I went thru that ordeal last year. Found out I had to go to the DMV and show all kinds of ID....then pay all kinds of fees... then wait for 3-4 weeks to get my replacement.

Was a sad situation since I wanted to sell the car.

Then I spent 3 days searching thru every material object I own in the world and found it.

Was a very happy moment! It was in a fucking Frank Sinatra album jacket!

Wouldn't you know it.. it was in the last place I looked. Go figure.

Good luck.
posted by SwingingJohnson1968 at 11:02 PM on March 21, 2006

I guess (IANAL) you should request a duplicate from the state your vehicle was last titled in.

Usually, a state will not register your car with an out-of-state title, so I guess that the last title was issued by Alabama. I expect that the initial Florida title has been voided by the Alabama one. But, again, IANAL.
posted by Ervin at 11:14 PM on March 21, 2006

You apply for the title in the state where the car currently resides. Yes, you have to provide a bunch of paperwork to prove it's really yours. It may be easier since the car was purchased in Florida originally. Most likely they have it on file, and you just have to pay for a duplicate.

My car was purchased in North Carolina, and I had to apply for a title in CA before I could sell it. And, of course, I found the original as soon as I had the new one in my hands. Me and SwingingJohnson agree. Do everything you can to find the original before doing anything else.
posted by team lowkey at 12:40 AM on March 22, 2006

Yeah, there's a lot of annoying paperwork involved, often. But, since this is a pretty state-specific procedure, the best thing you can do is go in to the DMV and tell them what you've told us. Someone should be able to tell you what to do; this isn't as rare a situation as you might think.

I ended up having to go to about four different places and fill out various forms at each. It helps to bring along all the ID and stuff on the car that you can muster.
posted by koeselitz at 9:47 AM on March 22, 2006

I just went through this in my state (MA). All I had to do was call the last bank that had a lien on the car and get a notarized "release of lien" letter, swear on an application that I wasn't lying and pay $25. I had my new title in 2 weeks.

But I bet it would have been impossible if the folks at the bank were not as helpful.
posted by kuujjuarapik at 2:14 PM on March 22, 2006

« Older Door number 3, Monty!   |   Interesting things to do over the summer Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.