Oh OBD where aren’t thou?

Bought a thingy for testing my car.

I have a 2013 Toyota Camry Hybrid. I bought a FIXD but cannot find the OBD to plug it in. I know it is there- w hen I had it inspected they plugged something in but I simply cannot find it.
I have googled images, I have stuck my head under the dash by the steering wheel and have asked the question on a search engine. The closest I got is someone said behind the fuel panel. Ok where is that?
I am usually self sufficient with shit like this but I have looked probably 10 times and do not see it.
Anybody?
posted by shaarog to Technology (6 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Have you tried looking at YouTube videos? I just watched 3 different Camry videos and in all three they were all in the same place. Here's one example.
posted by sacrifix at 11:08 AM on September 13 [1 favorite]

Yeah, I have Hondas so can't share, but the plug is not usually hidden. Also, for others, you don't need to buy a diagnostic thingy, most auto parts stores will just loan you one (so they can sell you parts when you discover what's wrong). last time for me the warning light turned out to be gas cap not tight enough, whee.
posted by ixipkcams at 11:58 AM on September 13

This site ( https://www.hum.com/port/ ) identifies it as pointing down from under the bottom lip of the dash, above the gas pedal. I don't know the Camry, but there's usually either a little door over them, or a dust cover on the port itself.

You don't have to buy a diagnostic thingy for sure, but they can be pretty handy if you think you can use one.
posted by wotsac at 12:35 PM on September 13

In both my SO's 2008 RAV4 and the early 00s Camrys that we had as rental replacements for a while the OBDII port was above the dead pedal, pretty close to the driver side door, just under where the plastic underneath the dash ends. Due to the shape of the plastic, you pretty much have to be on the ground looking up from underneath to see it. Once you know where it is, you can easily plug in using your left hand while sitting in the driver's seat, but it's nearly impossible to figure out without getting eyes on it first. You'll want a very bright light to be able to see it easily in the dark recesses.

I would bet that any of South Main Auto's Youtube videos about a Toyota would show him plugging in his scan tool.
posted by wierdo at 5:55 PM on September 13

Have you thought about stopping in to a Pep Boys or Jiffy Lub and asking one of the mechanics to show you? One of my local shops is happy to read the codes, and showed me how to hook up a reader when I got one. On my Element I ended up getting an OBD extension cord because the connector is out of reach for a big guy (me).
posted by Marky at 8:02 PM on September 13

Due to the shape of the plastic, you pretty much have to be on the ground looking up from underneath to see it. Once you know where it is, you can easily plug in using your left hand while sitting in the driver's seat, but it's nearly impossible to figure out without getting eyes on it first.

I'll second this. I have so much trouble finding the port on my car even though I know where it is. If you aren't looking at the correct angle you won't see it.
posted by Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug at 8:24 AM on September 14

« Older How dangerous is Washington State, actually?   |   You little sjarmtroll!!! Newer »