Apply for management job after 5 months in new role?

Should I stay in my current role or pursue management role after 5 months with the same company?

Ive been out of school and working entry level jobs for about 3 years with the same company. I work for a health plan as a pharmacist. About 5 months ago, I made a lateral move to a new position in the same company in order to gain more experience. I’m happy where I’m at now and I’m growing a lot and making a lot of great connections
Recently I just found out that my department is adding 2 new manager roles to the company. I heard that the hiring director is interested in filling one of the spots with an internal person who has also been with the company for the same amount of time as me (3 years) but she’s been working in this apartment the entire time. I’m interested in the other position because of the potential for a pay raise and I do believe I can succeed in it. However since I’m new to the role, I wonder if it looks bad if I try to take another role now. Would it look like I’m just trying to find the next best thing constantly? Should I just wait until I get more experience then look later on? The fact that the hiring director (same person) did not encourage me to apply means she probably does not see me as a potential candidate. I appreciate your thoughts. I’m just feeling a little FOMO.
posted by missybitsy to Work & Money (4 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Do you have a good relationship with your hiring director? It might be worth it to have a conversation with them where you acknowledge that you haven't been in your current role for very long, but that you would ultimately see your career going in that direction and do they think it's worth applying. You'll have to be prepared to take "I think this role calls for more experience in X or Y" as an answer, but that would have been the answer in any case. If they do discourage you this time around, you could have a friendly conversation about what they would want to see from you in order to be competitive the next time around.
posted by The Elusive Architeuthis at 4:54 PM on September 11 [4 favorites]

As anecdata, a friend of mine had been officially working at her new job for two (2) weeks before applying for a higher-level position that just opened up. She checked with the hiring manager for the role, explained her reasoning and is in the running now. There's no rule - it really depends on your workplace, and also your capacity for handling friction that might come up (will it bug you to wonder if folks are judging you, to the extent that you'd rather lay low?).

>The fact that the hiring director (same person) did not encourage me to apply means she probably does not see me as a potential candidate

And one more anecdote - a while ago, I applied for a job, didn't get it, saw the job posting get taken down, then saw it put up again several months later. I applied and got the job. The fact that the hiring manager didn't contact you doesn't guarantee that they don't think you're qualified.
posted by rogerroger at 5:07 PM on September 11 [2 favorites]

I cannot agree more with what The Elusive Architeuthis said above. I'm in HR and this would win big points with all the decision makers I know. If it's not you this time for this role, having this conversation now will take you a long way the next time a similar role opens up.

You would be shocked how many job dissatisfaction issues boil down to the simple problem of no one talked to each other.
posted by phunniemee at 5:46 PM on September 11 [7 favorites]

I have a colleague who is in a similar position, except maybe just a few more months in the current department under her belt and maybe a bit more experience overall. She is happy in her current role but understood that this type of opportunity doesn't come up often, so she talked to one of the hiring managers and based on that conversation, decided to apply. I think that is the best approach because it indicates your interest in staying in this department and growing with it, while also giving you insight into your company's culture around internal hiring... without committing you to actually applying yet.

I don't think that the hiring director not specifically encouraging you is meaningful unless this person knows you are interested in a management role or you've had some negative interactions with her. Also, the fact that you "heard" the HD has her eye on someone doesn't actually say to me that she encouraged that person, either.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
posted by sm1tten at 7:32 PM on September 11

« Older Which is worse, homeschooling or distanced...   |   Favorite easy wheat free lunches? Newer »