Anne with an E, or even Valancy.
September 10, 2020 7:56 AM   Subscribe

I am trying to find a...place where people discuss LM Montgomery's works - obviously the Anne Shirley books, but The Blue Castle/Pat of Silver Bush are also welcome. Surely there exists a virtual book clubby place where I can chat with folks about raspberry cordial, or wonder whatever happened to Roy Gardner, or speculate about Priscilla's life in Japan. No? A place to chat with people would be the best (especially now with real life interactions being at a sad, sad minimum), but failing that I would settle for good fanfiction to immerse myself into. Please help! Thank you.
posted by Nieshka to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (11 answers total) 9 users marked this as a favorite

You could propose a re-read bookclub on FanFare?
posted by jacquilynne at 8:17 AM on September 10, 2020 [10 favorites]

if all else fails you can memail me, I could talk about that stuff forever. I'd love an LMM penpal.
posted by fingersandtoes at 8:20 AM on September 10, 2020 [1 favorite]

If you do put something like this together here on Metafilter, I'd also be interested.
posted by M. at 8:25 AM on September 10, 2020 [4 favorites]

The forums here are mostly about your Brontes and Austen, but I think some LM Montgomery squeeing would go down well there too, if it hasn't already.
posted by low_horrible_immoral at 8:35 AM on September 10, 2020 [1 favorite]

There was a mailing list, but I don't know if it is still active, the link is on the partners page at the LM Montgomery Institute.
posted by betweenthebars at 9:53 AM on September 10, 2020 [1 favorite]

I agree with the FanFare idea and I would also probably participate in such.
posted by jenfullmoon at 12:20 PM on September 10, 2020

I assume communities like this are on Facebook, or maybe reddit?

I would join this, hence my username.
posted by Valancy Rachel at 12:24 PM on September 10, 2020 [3 favorites]

ooh ooh my friend and I started a Facebook group for this!
There's a bigger one, but it's too big and too focused on the Anne With An E wars so we decided to start our own. It's called the A.V.I.S. (AnneVerse Interest Society) but all LM Montgomery discussion is welcome!

Please everyone come join us!
posted by exceptinsects at 1:37 PM on September 10, 2020 [1 favorite]

I'd love to join as well! Heading over to the FB group right now....
posted by dancing_angel at 8:40 AM on September 11, 2020 [1 favorite]

Response by poster: I've never ever made a post on any Metafilter subsite except Ask, so I'm a little nervous. But this is encouraging and I don't mind taking a stab at it. Do you guys have any specific ideas? Please memail! I'll do this over the weekend.
posted by Nieshka at 10:11 AM on September 11, 2020

Off the top of my head: what do you want to talk about first? Do you want to do each book separately or just talk about the series as a whole? Pick the first thing that comes to mind, write down whatever it is you have to say, hit post. Well, after setting it up with the Fanfare page, anyway.
posted by jenfullmoon at 9:14 PM on September 11, 2020

« Older Switching industries, got a job offer. Negotiation...   |   Love songs with people's parents in them? Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments