What would you ask Elizabeth Warren?

I might have a chance tonight to briefly speak to Elizabeth Warren, and I am debating what to say.

A couple options:
A. What are your first priorities when Democrats take over? (Other people might ask the same thing.)
B. How would you give more protection to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, so that later administrations can't take teeth out of it?
C. Your ideas?

This is at a online fundraiser for a group that helps female Dem candidates in my state.
posted by NotLost to Law & Government (21 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

Response by poster: I meant to write that the second option might require a longer answer than is appropriate for the setting.
posted by NotLost at 11:09 AM on August 14, 2020

Best answer: If I were you, and it wouldn't be too jarring for the setting, I would ask for specific plans from Sen. Warren and/or Democratic leadership to replenish USPS funding and protect against a stolen 2020 presidential election. If only to reiterate that this should be the #1 5-alarm priority right now.
posted by miltthetank at 11:15 AM on August 14, 2020 [84 favorites]

Her presidential campaign was on fire for a while, but the oxygen seems to have been choked off. What happened?
posted by adamrice at 11:32 AM on August 14, 2020 [3 favorites]

Why didn't you endorse Bernie?
posted by history is a weapon at 11:32 AM on August 14, 2020 [3 favorites]

What steps will you take to ensure that Plan B and RU-486 are made available on demand, NON-PRESCRIPTION?,
posted by BostonTerrier at 12:02 PM on August 14, 2020

Why didn't you endorse Bernie?

Ugh, not this again. She entered the race first and was a better candidate, but for some reason no one ever asks him "why didn't you drop out and endorse Warren?" Patriarchy is a hell of a drug. Thus ends my primary relitigation.

I'm tempted to steal Kai Ryssdal's "So, how hosed are we really?" but depending on the situation - is this a panel with Q&A after that allows for longer answers or a meet and greet where you might get a few seconds of face time? - I'd either pick a specific issue that's important to you and ask a narrowly focused question like the ones suggested above or go with something vague like "what role do you expect/hope to play in the next administration?" and see what direction she chooses to take with her answer.
posted by Flannery Culp at 12:26 PM on August 14, 2020 [76 favorites]

Mod note: Friendly warning, this is not a thread where we will debate about Bernie or the primary. Please stick to answering the question asked, thanks.
posted by LobsterMitten (staff) at 12:27 PM on August 14, 2020 [8 favorites]

What keeps you up the most at night?
posted by beagle at 12:28 PM on August 14, 2020 [1 favorite]

In a speech in Seattle this February, she talked about when she was starting the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and she was told what a good idea it was and how it would never happen, and that all she could hear was "fight harder" (c-span link , story starts at 07:25). Aside from getting Joe Biden elected president, how does she plan now to continue to fight harder for her big dreams?
posted by KatlaDragon at 12:33 PM on August 14, 2020 [1 favorite]

Response by poster: To answer a question above, this is a meet-and-greet, a virtual gala, no panel.
posted by NotLost at 12:36 PM on August 14, 2020

Ha, I probably wouldn’t say anything. Old just stare and drool like a total fanboy. But if I finally came to my senses, I’d probably ask her something more academic than political.
posted by kevinbelt at 12:56 PM on August 14, 2020 [2 favorites]

What is the most effective thing that an individual voter can do, right now, to make a meaningful impact on the election?
posted by niicholas at 12:58 PM on August 14, 2020 [10 favorites]

Best answer: I don't think she's going to tell you something she hasn't said publicly and I think you should ask her something fun. What this encounter will be good for is a nice story later of how you got to ask an important and famous person what her favorite album was or something. It's not going to be the occasion of her saying "well here is my actual plan for saving the world."
posted by less of course at 1:41 PM on August 14, 2020 [15 favorites]

If I were you, and it wouldn't be too jarring for the setting, I would ask for specific plans from Sen. Warren and/or Democratic leadership to replenish USPS funding and protect against a stolen 2020 presidential election. If only to reiterate that this should be the #1 5-alarm priority right now.

I'd ask a variation on this question. What plans do they have, and how can I, as an individual voter, help (beyond making sure my own ballot gets in)? (And I'd ask it because I have no idea what the answer is, and given the 5-alarm priority, I want to metaphorically join a bucket brigade, if you will).
posted by nat at 2:33 PM on August 14, 2020 [5 favorites]

Best answer: I agree that something fun might get more of a response given that tons of other people will be asking the same policy questions.

Personally, I'd want to ask how Bailey is doing and if he has stolen any more burritoes.
posted by TwoStride at 2:34 PM on August 14, 2020 [14 favorites]

As someone who is extremely in favor of medicare for all but also loves her work in drug development, I would ask about Warren’s ideas on ensuring continued innovation in biomedical development under a medicare-for-all system, and her thoughts on addressing the deeply problematic role of PBNs - specifically the anticompetitive implications of interactions between PBNs and large pharma - in the drug industry.
posted by amelioration at 2:44 PM on August 14, 2020 [1 favorite]

Response by poster: Well, I had decided to ask a fun question -- "Tell me about your first car." I thought that could lead to a little story.

But it didn't matter after all. We had zero opportunity to interact with Sen. Warren.

Thanks for all your ideas.
posted by NotLost at 7:37 PM on August 14, 2020 [2 favorites]

Best answer: In your position I would identify something policy-related that she's really into that I don't know much about, and ask her to explain why it matters and what should be done policy-wise. I personally would ask this because I love her in this mode. And I think it bridges the gap between "ask something fun" and "she's not gonna say anything new in public," per less of course.
posted by kensington314 at 4:38 PM on August 15, 2020

Maybe I would actually just ask amelioration's question, on review.

Jealous of you, by the way!
posted by kensington314 at 4:40 PM on August 15, 2020

Bailey has a Twitter account for those missing the burrito bandit
posted by Flannery Culp at 4:43 PM on August 15, 2020

Best answer: I love Warren because she's so focused on being effective. If I were you, I would be thinking action items. I would ask:
In your opinion, what is the most effective way for me [insert details about myself] to be working for big, structural change right now?
And then I would do whatever she says.
posted by dbx at 5:41 PM on August 15, 2020 [1 favorite]

« Older Pollinator friendly garden--starting from scratch....   |   Housemate/brother friendship is falling apart...... Newer »