Who sells the freshest durian in Portland, OR?

My sifu of many years loves durian, but not the quality of local options. I want to give him one as a thank-you present, but only if it's up to his standards. Portland-area MeFites -- where can I find fresh durian? Willing to travel within reason.
posted by nímwunnan to Food & Drink (3 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Have they mentioned which local options they’re not fond of? It’s the middle of durian season right now, so I’d be shocked if you couldn’t get a quality fruit right now at H-Mart/Uwajimaya/Fubon (whichever’s convenient to you, location-wise).
posted by a box and a stick and a string and a bear at 6:22 PM on July 29, 2020

If sheer volume counts for an indication of freshness, quality or product turnover, SF mart has a fuck ton of them right now. They're like stacked under every single produce display as of last Thursday. I have found that SF has a much better produce section than most other asian markets out on the east side, H-Mart being the only exception (but I also haven't seen durian at H-mart before).
posted by furnace.heart at 7:00 PM on July 29, 2020

These are both very encouraging answers! thank you. I have been curious about SF Mart.
posted by nímwunnan at 8:42 PM on July 29, 2020

« Older Help us enjoy what's left of summer   |   What's it like transitioning from Windows to MacOS... Newer »