Thoughts on wood-inlay wedding rings?

Does anyone have any experience with wood-inlay wedding rings? My fiance and I are considering these rings, but we are wondering how the wood will hold up over the years.
posted by tperrigo to Shopping (11 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

i don't know, but to me wood screams impermanence!

but then, i don't even wear a wedding ring and never have--for 25 years
posted by subatomiczoo at 6:31 AM on March 20, 2006

It says that it's treated to be water and UV resistant, but having dealt with re-sealing a deck on more than one occasion, I'm not sure how long that is expected to last. Especially if you wear your ring in the shower every day, I'm willing to bet that sooner rather than later, you're going to be looking at re-treating that wood.
posted by antifuse at 6:37 AM on March 20, 2006

I wouldn't worry about the wood as much as the titanium. Titanium rings can't really be resized.
posted by mikel at 6:58 AM on March 20, 2006

subatomiczoo >>> "i don't know, but to me wood screams impermanence!

Really? I see permanence and impermanence dancing together, exactly as love does.

Either way, I have no idea about how long they'd last, but those rings are absolutely beautiful.
posted by dirtynumbangelboy at 7:35 AM on March 20, 2006

I second the beauty of the rings, they're wonderful.

With some wooden plugs (as in for stretched lobes and whatnot) applying beesewax to the wood will help protect and seal against the environment. I know nothing about the type of wood used or the treatment they've applied so I'm not sure if beeswax would be beneficial or detrimental (althought I can't imagine beeswax would ever be detrimental to anything). I would ask the maker of the rings for their suggestions.
posted by LunaticFringe at 8:17 AM on March 20, 2006

Wood moves, metal doesn't (at least, not nearly as much). I don't know how much of a factor it is for the dimensions of those rings, but in furnituremaking you don't attach wood to an inflexible substrate without some means of letting it move--at least, not unless you want a nice crack in your wood.

I don't know if the manufacturing process deals with this or not, but it's a point to consider.
posted by RikiTikiTavi at 8:33 AM on March 20, 2006

Have you considered mokume gane rings? Beautiful as woodgrain.
posted by krix at 9:25 AM on March 20, 2006

I have both a titanium wedding band and engagement ring. I know that the place where we bought our rings allowed for up to a half-size loosening or quarter-size tightening. That said, I know that's not a huge range.

I also know that the place linked above diamond-coats their rings, which would protect what was underneath. They don't do wood-inlay though.
posted by nekton at 10:50 AM on March 20, 2006

Thanks to everyone for sharing your thoughts. My fiance and I really love the rings, so I think we'll probably give them a shot. Thanks again!
posted by tperrigo at 11:42 AM on March 20, 2006

They're beautiful rings and I know you're happy with your decision, just wanted to add that maybe it's an opportunity to mark each significant anniversary (every 5 or 10 years) with a renewal of vows ceremony and new or reworked rings.
posted by ceri richard at 2:26 PM on March 20, 2006

My wife and I have white gold w/ ebony inlay (custom made from this designer: http://www.spiesjewelrydesign.com/jewelry_rings3.html)

We've only been married for seven months now, but I've yet to see any problems with the wood! Everyone always comments on how original they look, so adding wood inlay is a great idea.
posted by itchi23 at 8:16 AM on April 15, 2006

« Older Hijacked by Microsoft   |   The Mormons and roaches will outlive us all... Newer »