Experiments Done With Blood Samples Reacting to Body at a Distance

Looking for the experiments done where blood samples were taken from the body, put into isolated containers and a distance from the donor, where the blood samples reacted exactly like the blood circulating in the body, regardless of distance or location of the containers. Whatever the organism experienced, the blood in the containers responded as if they were still in the body. What experiment was this and who conducted it?
posted by watercarrier to Science & Nature (11 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

The only thing I can think of in real life is this account of an idea for solving the longitude problem by sympathetic magic.
posted by crocomancer at 6:13 AM on July 9, 2020 [1 favorite]

Response by poster: Very interesting and extremely cool. I think the key words are for this are Spooky Action and Quantum Entanglement. I've heard that this blood cell experiment was done, but my searches are missing the mark.
posted by watercarrier at 6:29 AM on July 9, 2020

Are you maybe thinking of William G. Braud's 1990 experiment with remote mental influence on the hemolysis of red blood cells? It doesn't match your description, which sounds pretty implausible.
posted by pipeski at 6:32 AM on July 9, 2020 [1 favorite]

You might be thinking of the recent re-do of the classic "rose oil experiment" where a single molecule of rose oil is released in a room to determine the sensitivity of human smell (they did this with all kinds of materials, but it ended up being the "rose oil" experiment because we can detect a single molecule of it.) In the new experiment, they sent someone else into the room half an hour after someone detected the rose oil there. These second people were all able to smell the rose oil too, thus it isn't being detected by chemical absorbtion, but instead, yeah, spooky action at a distance. The current hypothesis is that the sinuses, and their weird shape are acting as some kind of antenna. I find it highly unlikely that loose blood fluid would have the same capabilities.
posted by sexyrobot at 10:01 AM on July 9, 2020 [1 favorite]

I'm really curious about the rose oil experiment. A quick search returns results that aren't directing me to it. Are there any references to it you can direct us to? I ask because I'm a toxicologist, and the premise of being able to reliably isolate and release a single molecule of a volatile compound, or even a discrete number of those molecules, seems... herculean? sisyphian? Some kind of mythological analogy-ian.
posted by late afternoon dreaming hotel at 1:41 PM on July 9, 2020 [7 favorites]

This is not something that happens in real life.
posted by Anonymous at 4:58 PM on July 9, 2020

The citation you're looking for is

"Stuart D, Campbell JW. 1938. Who Goes There? Ast Sci Fic."
posted by NumberSix at 8:29 PM on July 9, 2020 [6 favorites]

Response by poster: What I have found is that there is proven-theory of long-range coherence in biological systems. Anyone wishing to investigate and learn more, the info apparently is out there - it's just a bit difficult to find given the quantum terminology.
posted by watercarrier at 12:53 AM on July 10, 2020

Response by poster: What is quantum coherence
posted by watercarrier at 12:59 AM on July 10, 2020

Long range is relative and does not apply to blood separate from the body. It is too far away. You will not find this phenomenon documented in any respected scientific journal because it does not exist.
posted by Anonymous at 6:56 AM on July 10, 2020

I wonder if sexyrobot might be mis-remembering an odor threshold test that used a "single molecular species" of rose scent compound, rather than a "single molecule".

"The examples of rose, hyacinth and sweet alyssum demonstrate the chemical progression from alcohol to aldehyde to carboxylic acid can generate unique and characteristic odors from single molecular species that can represent particular odor objects."[1]

Phenethl alcohol, which is a single molecule component that registered on its own as the characteristic rose-like odor, is detectable by humans as low as 0.015 parts per billion (ppb) or 15 parts per trillion. [2] Some napkin math with Avagadro's principle shows that a cubic meter of air at standard temperature and pressure (STP - sea level pressure at 15 °C ) has 25.3 septillion, or 25.3 trillion trillion, total molecules. [3]

Therefore, a minimum human detectable amount of rose oil in the air would be about 375 trillion molecules per cubic meter of air volume. Which is not very much at all, but significantly more than a single molecule's presence.

[1] https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/medicine-and-dentistry/rose-oil
[2] https://books.google.ca/books?id=pUEqBgAAQBAJ&pg=PA1633&lpg=PA1633&dq=rose+oil+detection+threshold&source=bl&ots=HT6ng7roWn&sig=ACfU3U0GiIe2OO8Zju99eZKnskEVQ1eLDQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwikjP72uMPqAhX-HDQIHSauDgYQ6AEwD3oECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=rose%20oil%20detection%20threshold&f=false
[3] https://www.quora.com/How-many-air-molecules-are-present-in-a-cubic-meter-of-air
posted by QuixoticGambit at 1:54 PM on July 10, 2020

« Older Does the candidate who's behind always want more...   |   Dual Citizen Wants to Cash In Chips: How Do? Can... Newer »