Getting into the things I am avoiding

What books should I read to help with my avoidant behaviour?

I made a vow to my partner to do some work at looking at my avoidant behaviour. Right now I think that means reading books, but if there are other online resources, I'm open to that too. What are your recommendations please.
posted by miles1972 to Human Relations (6 answers total) 8 users marked this as a favorite

It might be helpful if we knew what you're avoiding.
posted by escape from the potato planet at 11:22 AM on June 29 [2 favorites]

Are you talking about something like procrastination or about Avoidant Personality Disorder? Or avoidant in terms of attachment styles?
posted by needs more cowbell at 12:01 PM on June 29 [1 favorite]

Avoidance is also a symptom of anxiety, and ADHD.
posted by sixswitch at 12:55 PM on June 29

Ah. More in terms of Avoidant for personalities. Avoiding conflict.
posted by miles1972 at 1:51 PM on June 29

The book Attached reviews attachment styles (secure, anxious, avoidant) and gives examples as to how these styles play out in conflict. It has really helped me already to relate to my partner in a more secure way, so might be a useful resource!
posted by EarnestDeer at 4:50 AM on July 1

Psychology in Seattle on youtube talks about attachment styles a lot and how you can work toward secure relationships. He analyses "real" (reality tv) relationships so you can see concrete examples in action, and scripts of how it might have gone differently. Would recommend to watch it with your partner if you both are open to it.
posted by mossy_george at 5:13 PM on July 5

« Older How can I automatically scale an email printed to...   |   Should I stay part time at work, or leave? Newer »