What is this mysterious plant?

Here Is a plant that is in my garden. When I moved here ten years ago it was on the deck in a pot. Do you know what it is?

I planted it into the ground about eight years ago. It has grown quite a bit and this year, just a few weeks ago it grew this very tall central stalk and this flower has emerged. It’s gorgeous and exciting. I live in Surrey in Southern England. Do you have any idea what this may be?
posted by shibori to Home & Garden (6 answers total)

I think it's Yucca!
posted by beyond_pink at 11:57 AM on June 22 [5 favorites]

That sure looks like a yucca to me!
posted by Lynsey at 12:06 PM on June 22

Thank you!
posted by shibori at 12:11 PM on June 22 [1 favorite]

We were blessed to have a few Yuccas in our yard when we moved in. They've been very happy, and have multiplied. When the base of your yucca gets very large, you can divide it and replant the 'baby' elsewhere. It can take a while for the new plant to adapt, but within a year, it will be happy as well.
posted by hydra77 at 12:45 PM on June 22

You will also see it referred to as Adam's Needle.
posted by SinAesthetic at 1:45 PM on June 22

Yup. Very common in the US and Mexico. Be aware that some species of yucca/agave flower only once and die after. If yours does this, check the base for baby plants, they are your replacements:)
posted by epanalepsis at 2:10 PM on June 22

« Older Made.com in US?   |   Getting data off of an iPhone with a broken screen Newer »