How to Move to NYC

My 18 yo daughter was raised in medium sized cities/towns. She's wants to try out The Urban Experience. What does she need to know?

Really, looking for up to date resources. Links, books, vids. She's going to be completely new to urban living. Please don't google & guess. I've been doing that and it's impossible to filter out the bullshit.

Not looking for travel guides or tourism stuff.

I am a follow-your-dreams kinda dad, but Is this insane?

Y'all are the best! Ty.
posted by j_curiouser to Travel & Transportation around New York, NY (31 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

What size is the medium-sized city that she's lived in? Because my Shanghai / NYC friend says that Seattle is a "quiet little town," and apparently my 10,000 hometown in CT is midsize by some measures.
posted by batter_my_heart at 6:21 PM on June 20, 2020 [4 favorites]

Best answer: More than 11 million people live in NYC so it is not insane to live here!

That said, NYC is much easier to live in if you have local community. That is the number one resource she needs--not a book or video. Those won't have up to date information or they won't be specific to her neighborhood. This is why one of the "easiest" ways to move here is to have family/friends who live here. You really do need local help and support.

So, I think the best thing to do would be for her to get a general idea of what she can afford in rent, and then see if there are neighborhoods that she can afford to live in. Then once she has figured that out, she can look for local resources near there. Churches are particularly good for this, but in some areas there are active block associations or volunteer groups. Then she can move and just sort of figure it out on her own with a community to fall back on for questions.

Honestly, it is much easier in many ways to live here as a stranger than it is to live in a mid-sized city where people are really atomized because it's less dense. There are...maybe a hundred plus people who live on my block, for example, which is enough of a group that we have a facebook, plan activities, and pick up groceries for each other (!). The density of NYC really lends itself well to that.

But, you do need to make an effort to be less of a stranger. That is my number one tip.
posted by Rock 'em Sock 'em at 6:28 PM on June 20, 2020 [9 favorites]

Best answer: Also, I've lived in your profile city and I'd take NYC for an 18yo woman any day in terms of safety, ease of doing daily tasks, and the ability to connect with other people. I think your city is much more "advanced" in the sense that I'd worry about my friends from NYC moving there!
posted by Rock 'em Sock 'em at 6:31 PM on June 20, 2020 [3 favorites]

Best answer: Step One: she needs a room-mate or room-mates. Finding those will make everything else easier/possible.
posted by aramaic at 6:37 PM on June 20, 2020 [5 favorites]

Best answer: New York isn't nearly as much fun if you're broke. In fact, it can be significantly more uncomfortable. She'll probably have to have multiple roommates. Eating out at the many great restaurants, $15 cocktails at those fancy bars, grabbing a taxi home when it's late - it's just miserable if you have to count your pennies. Sure, there are things you can do for free or cheap, but there are a lot of things that you can't. I would never, ever have wanted to live here in my 20s for that reason.

And we haven't even talked about COVID-19. People are fleeing the city, a lot of things are still closed, opportunities for meeting new people (meet-ups, activities, dates, etc.) will be severely limited or non-existent, and I agree having a community here is important. When would she want to move here? Things are opening back up but it won't be back to normal. Not to mention the possibility of a second wave.

Why New York? And what is it that she wants to gain out of the Urban Experience? I agree knowing the largest city she has lived in would be helpful.
posted by unannihilated at 6:40 PM on June 20, 2020 [7 favorites]

Best answer: She doesn’t need to know anything. She’ll figure it out. It’s the best way to learn, anyway. New York isn’t a test you can study for.
posted by Automocar at 6:44 PM on June 20, 2020 [22 favorites]

Best answer: The single most constraining factor in a young person's NYC life is money. Not for, like, clubbing; for paying rent, which remains drearily constant from month to month. The general expectation of an NYC landlord is that a tenant will earn 40x the rent in annual income. This means that for many people of lower income, Manhattan south of about 125th St. is unattainable on their own. I have no idea whether she has a job or whether her expenses will be met otherwise, but a look at Streeteasy in the neighborhoods she is yearning for will give her a quick idea of whether the lifestyle she dreams of is accessible. If she can't afford to live where she'd like, then she must, like a vast proportion of young people especially, find a roommate (or more). Unlike someone is funding her generously indeed, she should not expect to have a car and so she should expect to get used to public transit for everything, including that long trip in from wherever she can afford to live. Those are the two biggest differences between living in NYC and in most other places.

Honestly, she'll be fine. It may or may not be for her--in the end, there are a lot of people it's not for. But she'll learn a lot, particularly in terms of self-reliance. The main thing about NYC is that no one is going to consider themselves responsible for your experience. You have to figure out what you want and don't want and how to go after it.

(If she expects to need time to find a roommate, she might consider a place like the Webster Residence, which is not bad as a short-term base from which to identify a new home.)
posted by praemunire at 6:48 PM on June 20, 2020 [14 favorites]

Best answer: It has been a long, long time since NYC was an especially dangerous place.

It's challenging to move to, but that's because it can be a difficult place to make friends, and because it's incredibly expensive. If she gets a job, lives within her means, and finds a community of people who like her, she will do fine. If not, she will get fed up and go home safe and sound.

You may also be surprised by how normal the parts of the city are where most people live. Unless she spends a ton of money trying to be Someplace Cool, she will probably find herself on a residential street, or one with a few shops and restaurants on it. She'll be in a small apartment, probably in an old building. She'll see more pedestrians than she's used to, shops will stay open later than she's used to, parking will be hard-to-impossible, and she'll ride the bus a lot. But it will be an ordinary, routine life of carrying groceries and riding busses in a neighborhood full of ordinary people, not the sort of utter chaos or constant watching your back that you might be imagining. There are probably blocks like that in your own town.
posted by nebulawindphone at 7:05 PM on June 20, 2020 [17 favorites]

Best answer: I will say, though, that besides the expense, the other reason I don't live in New York now is that everything there is slightly more of a hassle than it would be anywhere else. Apartment hunting is more stressful. Getting groceries home is more stressful (and good luck with something like furniture). Receiving packages is more stressful. Getting around is more stressful. Making plans to go out is stressful (and nobody ever has enough room to have all their friends over to their home).

The high density doesn't make living there dangerous, but it — and its side effects, "owning your own car sucks," "someone is competing with you for every little thing," and "nothing is ever private" — definitely makes all the boring details of your life slightly more annoying.
posted by nebulawindphone at 7:17 PM on June 20, 2020 [7 favorites]

Best answer: I've spent most of my life in your profile city, but I've moved to NYC twice and spent a total of seven years there. You're getting good advice here.

For me, it really comes down to three things:

1. Does she have any friends or connections in the NYC area? Having someone there to help orient you and serve as a touchstone, especially for your first few weeks, makes the challenge of settling in so much more fun and so much... just, better, in all ways. The next best thing would be moving out there with a friend and exploring the area together. NYC is exciting but often overwhelming and having support on the ground there can make a real difference. Plenty of 18-year-olds move to the city all the time, but often it's for college, and I think the structure of college and dorm life takes care of the touchstone thing. Having some sort of work lined up can also help in that area.

2. How will she afford it? It's shockingly expensive to get settled. If she's expecting to live in a quaint, exposed brick, light-filled apartment in Greenwich village surrounded by adorable coffee shops, she'd better have a sponsor with deep pockets -- those places go for several thousands of dollars per month. At 18 and without a job, her options will be far-flung and multi-roommated. With upfront costs, she'd probably need $3K or so just to get on a lease in some far-flung place (although there are more casual arrangements to be found, they can be sketchy). Also, at 18 and probably needing to hold several jobs to make 40x rent, she'd likely need to sign you or another relative as a sponsor to make up the extra.

3. What's her temperament, and what are her expectations? Has she visited before? Why NYC? Like nebulawinphone says, everything is a hassle. Doing laundry is a hassle. Finding a place to live is an enormous hassle and the stress of it made me practically homicidal. You kind of have to fight for everything on a daily basis, and though it's so rewarding, soft little innocent Western state me was prone to meltdowns my entire first year when I was in my 20s. But NYC helped me grow up and learn a lot about life and how to be. And I've said this before -- NYC takes how you're feeling and mirrors it back at you 10x over. If you're happy, the city will return that to you. If you're upset or frustrated or depressed, expect the city to magnify that by 10. Plenty of 18-year-olds can handle it, but there's no way I could have done it at 18.

I'm not super worried about danger, so long as she walks assertively and cultivates the skill of not looking like a tourist. I'm not sure how to factor Covid into the equation.

All said, I think NYC is a better experience than, say, our nearest large city. Try to have work lined up, try to have a touchstone person in the city. Both times I moved there, I'd said I'd try it for a year, and that expectation really helped -- it certainly gets easier after 3-6 months.

Feel free to memail if I can help with questions.
posted by mochapickle at 7:41 PM on June 20, 2020 [6 favorites]

Best answer: I have this theory that every 18-20 yo in the country, instead of military service should live in NYC for 2 years. I am from NY, but I have to say my favorite city is Chicago. Regardless, I think living in NYC is a terrific experience. She will learn independence, self reliance, appreciation for other cultures, how to live on the cheap, and so much more. She will also learn a lot about who she is, how she handles both adversity and success.

She will do great. She will thrive. Words from a father of a 22 yo daughter who moved to NYC.
posted by AugustWest at 7:56 PM on June 20, 2020 [2 favorites]

Oh, gosh, I find dealing with a car about a million times more annoying than dealing with NYC stuff. The idea of finding parking makes me so irritated just thinking about it.

I think this was less true back in the day when the internet was less good. But with delivery services all set up and a few good local recommendations it's so stupidly convenient to be here that I get upset when I visit other cities.
posted by Rock 'em Sock 'em at 8:01 PM on June 20, 2020 [2 favorites]

I will say, though, that besides the expense, the other reason I don't live in New York now is that everything there is slightly more of a hassle than it would be anywhere else.

Yes and no. I would say the reason for these hassles are (1.) everything is way more crowded and (2.) not having a car (not saying she should bring a car - the traffic congestion and cost and parking is such that the norm is really not to have a car and having one would bring its own set of special NYC hassles.) On the flip side, this means industries and infrastructure have sprung up to help mitigate these issues, and the convenience of some of these is so great that it's part of the reason I'm still here. For example:
(1.) 24/7 public transit is amazing. Trains every five minutes is amazing. Oh yes, trust me, I've been jammed like a sardine on many a train car during a commute and been left high and dry by many a signal problem, train ahead of us is delayed, etc., and I know all about the MTA's financing and management issues, but prior to moving here I lived in a mid-sized city where on some routes buses only came once every 45 minutes, so trust me, it's amazing.
(2.) I have actually been quarantining TOO effectively because it is possible to get anything and everything you could possibly want delivered to your apartment pretty cheaply.
posted by unannihilated at 8:02 PM on June 20, 2020 [4 favorites]

Best answer: Plenty of 18-year-olds can handle it, but there's no way I could have done it at 18.
Completely agree with mochapickle that your daughter's temperament and expectations are very important. This city would have absolutely crushed 18-year-old me. 30-year-old me had been around the block with new cultures and experiences and difficult situations and had some resiliency. Rather than getting depressed or feeling too out of place, I was able to roll with the punches, learn quick, and have a blast.
posted by unannihilated at 8:16 PM on June 20, 2020 [1 favorite]

Best answer: I moved to NYC alone to go to school when I was 17 and spent one year living in a college dorm, then I got roommates and moved into an apartment. School helped me find a part time job and I also had structure/a network from it.

Re: personal safety and crime I've had way more crime happen to me living in a suburb of Denver in the last four years than I did in about a decade of living in NYC's outer boroughs. That's an anecdote, YMMV.

NYC is a great place to live if you have enough of a financial cushion to handle a minor emergency, to afford health insurance & access to healthcare, to get out of a living situation if your roommate turns out to be the Wrong Person to live with, to replace your phone/bike/computer if it gets stolen, etc. If you don't have enough money to do those things and are going to be scrambling paycheck to paycheck with three or four other broke 18-25 year old roommates all of whom are working low paying jobs with erratic scheduling then it can become extremely stressful.

Most landlords will require that her annual income (or the combined annual income of her + roommates) equals at least 40 times the monthly rent, and if she can't do that on her own or with her roommates, you might need to step in as guarantor. Only some landlords accept out of state guarantors. Even if she can find a place she qualifies for re: income she needs to have two months of rent and a security deposit ready to go up front, which can be a lot of money.

I loved living there in my 20s and truly miss public transit (I read like 50 books a year!) and the food. I left for a higher paying job in another state, and because I had a car and was sick of dealing with street parking (I had to buy the car for the kind of work I did - I had no car for years and walked everywhere, which awesome and great for my health.) On the other hand, I had friends who had less financial resources and little or no family support, and they had some crazy shit happen to them. It's fine to say "don't know anyone? just get some roommates off Craigslist or from school!" ...but...that's a much safer option if you can also afford to find another place to go on short notice (and replace your belongings you're not getting back) when one of those roommates turns out to have a uncontrolled meth problem or keeps bringing home their felon boyfriend who's stealing from you, etc.

If you can support her financially in case of an emergency, or if she can get a job lined up somehow, or if she already knows one or two people there (whether from school, or family members/family friends etc) all those things will help and it's feasible for sure. The first six months always feel really stressful in any new place, and she'll get homesick and maybe want to give up or have a good cry now and then...but after a year when she has a routine and a job and a handful of friends, she'll be fine.
posted by zdravo at 8:18 PM on June 20, 2020 [1 favorite]

Is your daughter going to college in NYC or she just moving here? Does she plan on having a job, or is she supported otherwise? Does she have a sense of what she wants to do in NYC besides living in the city?

To me it's the most amazing city, but I grew up overseas in an even bigger one, so the crowds etc don't overwhelm me. But besides some trust funders it's a place of pursuit, of doers and hustlers, so being after something you want to do, even if it's just the next step in life helps center oneself in the midst of all the bustle and is also a way to find community.

Eighteen is a bit young for most to have a defined purpose, hence I'm wondering if she's going to college or doing her gap year, or just moving here as the next step in life. Being in New York without a purpose won't be the real New York experience, it will be an extended holiday if she's funded. If she's going to be on her own it will be scrappy and her purpose will be to survive which will yield invaluable lessons for life.

More specific questions about where to live, rents, specific job or educational opportunities might yield you more useful answers if and when she does make the move.
posted by whatdoyouthink? at 9:09 PM on June 20, 2020 [2 favorites]

Best answer: I love NYC, moved here as soon as I could and hope to never leave. My answer to these questions is always YES. But with COVID, I don't know if I can recommend it.

Under COVID, all the normal stresses of the city are multiplied by a hundred. Public transportation still feels quite risky to me and to basically everyone I know. So you have to either live within walking or biking distance of your job (which would almost certainly mean a super high rent) or hope you can work from home for the foreseeable future. Meeting people and dating, and even finding roommates and buying furniture for your new place on Craigslist, is all more difficult and risky right now. Jobs are scarce and the ones that do exist are often high-contact, high-risk. Most of the things that people move here to do -- museums, restaurants, concerts -- are closed and will be for awhile at least. The people's fight to defund the NYPD will be grueling and will be met with intense resistance and possibly additional state-sponsored violence.

NYC is still magical right now for sure, but it's a different kind of magic and it's a tough place to be, even if you've been here awhile.

And that's in addition to what everyone else has said -- it's a mind bogglingly expensive city under regular circumstances where it can be hard to make friends and feel connected.

Maybe it's still worth it? Or maybe this all makes her want to wait a year or two to see how things shake out.
posted by EmilyFlew at 10:16 PM on June 20, 2020 [3 favorites]

Best answer: I am a former 18 year old daughter who did all sorts of traveling in the proto-internet era. She doesn't need to know anything. She's got this! And if she doesn't, that's fine, too! It's about the experience.
posted by aniola at 10:24 PM on June 20, 2020 [1 favorite]

The one thing I'll add that hasn't been mentioned yet is that NYC has a significant rental fraud problem - there's a real tension between needing to move quickly on a good housing situation when you find one, and making sure you're not being scammed.
posted by kickingtheground at 11:47 PM on June 20, 2020 [3 favorites]

Has she spent much (or any) time there? I've done a lot of petsitting over the last few years in order to have free places to stay, and would recommend that she try that to spend a few weeks in NYC this summer (I think I can give you a discount code for Trusted Housesitters if you memail me). If she's definitely sure about moving, she could use housesitting to have time to look for an apartment.

But to echo what other people said, how is she planning to afford an apartment? The only job that occurs to me is nannying, which might come with a free room (but likely involves working for people who are a pain). Also, yes, COVID is obviously changing the experience of living in a city dramatically.
posted by pinochiette at 6:45 AM on June 21, 2020 [1 favorite]

N-thing folks saying that NYC is wonderful but being there right now is intensely weird and stressful. My friend group is doing relatively okay because we're tight-knit, but no one feels comfortable riding the subway, there are loud fireworks going off in the middle of the night every night in many neighborhoods (we think it's the police but that's for another askme), and any household with even mild risk factors is basically trapped inside. I spoke to a good friend last night who has only physically left her apartment four times in the last hundred days.

If your daughter has the money to live with one roommate in a convenient neighborhood where people are taking social distancing seriously, and if she's not someone prone to anxiety, this is certainly a unique moment for NYC. But if she wants to move to NYC as it existed in 2019, this actually isn't possible and she should wait another year or two.
posted by Narrative Priorities at 6:46 AM on June 21, 2020 [5 favorites]

Best answer: This doesn't seem unreasonable to me at all, though as others have said, COVID19 makes things difficult right now.

I was in a similar position to your daughter once. At 18, I moved from the suburbs of Seattle to Amsterdam on my own. I was pretty much broke and living off of student loans that I maxed out and am still paying off to this day but the experience was very much worth it.

People have got a lot of the NYC specific stuff covered so one thing I really want to stress is that while it's important for your daughter to learn self-reliance while she's out in the big city, I think one of the more important things she needs to know is that it's also okay for her to recognise her limits and that it's okay to need help from you. It was good for me to be 18 and on my own and needing to figure out stuff like how to plan an international move, how to find a place to live, how to shop on a budget, etc. But what I wish I would have known is that when I was in the throes of a deep and dark depression (which isn't to say that your daughter will experience the same thing), it would not have been a marker of failure to tell family/friends from back home that I was struggling or homesick. I made some questionable choices w/r/t toxic relationships because I was lonely but overly invested in proving to myself that I could handle things on my own.
posted by quadrant seasons at 8:48 AM on June 21, 2020 [1 favorite]

But if she wants to move to NYC as it existed in 2019, this actually isn't possible and she should wait another year or two.

I'd like to echo this and add that a lot of the stuff that young people who are looking to move to NYC for The Urban Experience are looking for just...isn't happening right now. Or it's happening in a difficult, more challenging, and more stressful way. You can't have large indoor gatherings, so you can't go to a concert, or a party. You can't go to museums or plays. Bars, cafes and restaurants are supposed to open for outdoor-only seating tomorrow, but....I'd be a bit wary of jumping in and going (maybe that's just me).

Also, roommates....she's gonna need a roommate. She's gonna need multiple roommates, most likely. How is she going to find them in the middle of a pandemic? I don't even know.

Right now, it does seem like things are improving (in NYC, at least), but that could very well change. I don't think the city is on the verge of collapse but we just don't know when all of this stuff is going to return.

Considering this, I would advise against moving to NYC right now. Not because of health concern per se (really, you can get COVID-19 anywhere), but because a lot of the reasons an 18-year-old would likely want to move to the city simply do not apply at the moment, and probably will not meaningfully apply for some time. She should give it a few years. Frankly, she'd probably have a better time here as a twentysomething with a bit more experience under her belt - and probably better job prospects - than she would as an 18-year-old, anyway.
posted by breakin' the law at 3:14 PM on June 21, 2020 [2 favorites]

Best answer: Things that used to be super inconvenient even 5 years ago are nonissues now. Everything from takeout to Rxs to groceries to furniture is home delivered as a rule. Transit is easy with apps. Petsitting, handypeople, apartment hunting is all apps.

The secret to NYC is each neighborhood is its own town. You have your work neighborhood and your home neighborhood and once you get the lay of the land there, you expand your radius.

The only thing she needs is a job, housing, and ideally a financial cushion (I did without and it was hard but not hard enough to keep me away.) You can either handle it or you can’t, only one way to find out.

Granted, things are a bit fucked now but that’s everywhere and housing is gonna be pretty reasonable for a few months as people flee.
posted by kapers at 3:43 PM on June 21, 2020 [2 favorites]

The primary thing she's going to need in NYC is money, a job, and a place to live, in that order. Everything else will kind of sort itself out.

Money first, because no landlord will rent to you if you don't have some cash (first/last/security, and I think they got rid of broker fees recently), and because it takes a while to find the neighborhood places where the prices are reasonable.

The job next, because that keeps the money going and provides your community, at least for people who don't have friends there already.

For the place to live, I would suggest AirBNB or something for the first month while she looks for a job, because the location of the job is going to determine where it's reasonable to live. Going crosstown in Manhattan can take much, much longer than going the same distance on the subway or bus. The public transportation routes to her job will determine which neighborhoods are a reasonable commuting distance away. She is probably not going to want to live in Manhattan--look at Queens, Brooklyn, New Jersey. She will probably not like her first apartment, because the best apartments (including ones with roommates) almost always come through word of mouth.
posted by The Elusive Architeuthis at 5:56 PM on June 21, 2020 [1 favorite]

Really, looking for up to date resources. Links, books, vids.

As maskless New Yorkers crowd outside bars, Cuomo threatens to shut the city back down (WaPo, Jun. 15, 2020 / SFGate reprint) ("the weekend scene suggested that, even after more than 20,000 of their neighbors have died, many lockdown-weary residents have entirely forgotten about social distancing"), As lockdown slowly lifts in New York, the new normal is profoundly unsettling (Emma Brockes, Guardian Opinion, Jun. 11, 2020) (includes projected unemployment rate), New York cautiously starts to reopen for business after coronavirus lockdown (Guardian, Jun. 8, 2020) (includes information about public transportation)
posted by katra at 7:52 PM on June 21, 2020 [2 favorites]

Is there some kind of youth program where she could go there and do volunteer work or something in exchange for housing? A friend did a Jewish, social justice based program called Avodah of this nature. I assume there are others for non-Jews. My friend got to have a year in Brooklyn without paying egregious rent or having to search on her own for like-minded roommates.
posted by unstrungharp at 9:31 PM on June 21, 2020 [1 favorite]

Best answer: Putting the Covid situation to one side because I don't know what to say about it, the expense of living in NYC is really tightly related to which NYC you want to live in. The Sex And The City NYC -- the one you live in if you have a classy publishing internship and your rich parents supporting you lavishly -- is super expensive. I'm a middle-aged professional, and I think hard about taxis and nice restaurants. So if that's what she's thinking of, she can't get that without a whole lot of money.

Regular NYC isn't so bad. Rent is still brutal, even if you're living someplace sensible (Queens, the Bronx, Manhattan above the 130s or so or unfashionable parts of Brooklyn) (and finding an apartment more so), but you make up for that by not owning a car, which saves you a lot of money. Getting around on the subway everyplace is practical and economical, and ratty little local restaurants are pretty good, sometimes great and usually cheap, and there's a lot of free or cheap stuff to do (weird little theatre, not Broadway, odd museums and events, once you get the hang of it there's a wild amount of stuff that doesn't cost).

It is much more physically inconvenient than living in more car based parts of the country. You're carrying your groceries, you're carrying your laundry someplace, you're getting places on foot or public transportation which is much slower and more effortful than getting in your car in your driveway and parking easily at your destination. I live here, so I don't mind it, but she's going to notice that as a big change. Some people find it miserably wearing, some people thrive on it. Weirdly, you spend a whole lot more time outdoors than most of the rest of the country, urban outdoors rather than nature, but outdoors. Warm winter outerwear, good walking boots, all of that is much more important than it would be in a more car-heavy environment.

Safety. New York is safe, but it probably won't feel that way at first -- she will be spending a whole lot of time in the same space as people who will feel weird and unfamiliar to her. A couple of tips to adjust: (1) There's safety in numbers. No matter how off-putting the people around you feel, if you can see, say, five or ten people who aren't all with each other (that is, five guys joking around with each other count as one group, not as five people) you're fine. (2) Look around for people who seem demographically familiar to you, and see if they're relaxed. If you're a young woman on the subway and something's freaking you out, look around for another woman who seems kind of like you, and see if she looks fine. If she's not upset, you probably don't need to be. Other than that, it's just time: a few months and you'll have enough local judgment to know what situations aren't a problem (which is the vast majority of them.)
posted by LizardBreath at 7:38 AM on June 22, 2020 [2 favorites]

Additional recent perspectives that may be helpful to review: Partially reopen, New York City bears little resemblance to its former self (Politico), New York faces an unprecedented crisis. Will the city I love survive Covid-19? (Ross Barkan, Guardian Opinion)
posted by katra at 9:59 AM on June 23, 2020 [1 favorite]

Response by poster: 1) she's mature for her age
2) she has a realistic plan. she has a bailout plan if shit goes south.
3) she made friends with friends of family and has a free place to stay looking for job/apt. - for a bit.
4) she has a roommate. Bestie from home is starting school there.
5) I am lower middle class but will be able to pitch a few hundred a month her way for a while - you do what you can.
6) she pushed up the schedule and is leaving for the job hunt Wednesday.

Yay...and ouch. This one's gonna hurt.

Thank you everyone for all the words. She read the thread.
posted by j_curiouser at 6:35 PM on June 28, 2020 [2 favorites]

Response by poster: Landed last night. Had a job at a 5th Ave salon by noon. Not a bad start.
posted by j_curiouser at 5:17 PM on July 3, 2020 [3 favorites]

« Older Surely there is a solution: Computer Set Up...   |   My ? brings the damselflies to the yard, my bugs... Newer »