Can I eat this? Filter: Overnight

I stopped at my local mom and pop for a bag of cooked then frozen enchiladas and promptly left the freezer open a crack -- overnight I suppose.

So the front half of the enchiladas were cool and soft (mostly thawed but not room temp). The back half were frozen. As I mentioned, they were already cooked (individually wrapped), sold frozen, and I've just popped them in the microwave before.
posted by intrepid_simpleton to Food & Drink (5 answers total)

They're fine from a safety standpoint. It's as if you left them in the refrigerator instead of the freezer. Their texture may be a bit off from an odd defrost.

I'd refreeze them and eat them sooner than usual just to avoid a lot of freezer burn.
posted by hydra77 at 10:33 AM on June 5 [10 favorites]

i would keep in the fridge and eat them soon...
posted by calgirl at 11:04 AM on June 5 [2 favorites]

actually, i would reheat and eat them now.
posted by calgirl at 11:05 AM on June 5 [8 favorites]

Not even close to being an issue. Eat away.
posted by turkeyphant at 6:12 PM on June 5

I'm more concerned about your freezer's operation. If you have sufficient mass in your freezer a cracked open door shouldn't result in much defrosting. If your freezer is nearly empty put a jug three quarters full of water in it. The more frozen stuff you have in your freezer (up to a point) the more efficiently your freezer will work - you will save electricity. The frozen water is also a good emergency backup water source.
posted by srboisvert at 5:07 AM on June 6

« Older Gift ideas for a medical school graduate, class of...   |   Buying eyeglass frames only online and getting the... Newer »