Cast recordings that are good for running

I enjoy running to cast recordings. I normally listen to "Legally Blonde" and "Mean Girls" and would like to find similar shows that you can follow the story through the songs and are high energy.

I also listen to "Avenue Q", "Book of Mormon", "Hedwig and the Angry Inch", and "Ready Player One". Thanks for any suggestions you have!
posted by gagoumot to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (19 answers total) 10 users marked this as a favorite

The Mamma Mia soundtrack is my go-to because it's just so damn fun. I prefer the movie version but YMMV with the various Broadway recordings!
posted by Kitchen Witch at 1:40 PM on May 30 [2 favorites]

Update. Not "Ready Player One", it's called "Be More Chill." Sorry.
posted by gagoumot at 1:40 PM on May 30 [1 favorite]

thank you for your update I was v. confused by that one lol
posted by Kitchen Witch at 1:41 PM on May 30

Bring It On: The Musical
posted by mbrubeck at 1:43 PM on May 30 [2 favorites]

The "American Psycho" London cast recording (sample).
posted by rollick at 1:50 PM on May 30

Some newer ones you might not have heard yet:
Six - the ex-wives of Henry III
Broadway Bounty Hunter by Joe Iconis, who composed Be More Chill

and also Newsies, Tootsie, Anything Goes, and any of the Forbidden Broadway series.

I'm pretty sure they're all on Spotify.
posted by still_wears_a_hat at 2:06 PM on May 30

Hamilton
posted by basalganglia at 2:19 PM on May 30 [8 favorites]

Seconding Hamilton!
posted by mekily at 2:52 PM on May 30

Thirding Hamilton. Also Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812. Here's the first song.
posted by BlahLaLa at 3:11 PM on May 30 [2 favorites]

Nthing Hamilton and Six, and adding Lin-Manuel Miranda's earlier musical, In the Heights.
posted by TwoStride at 4:47 PM on May 30

Reaching way back, how about the movie soundtrack to Grease? (I've never seen/heard the stage version so I'm not sure how much overlap there is.)
posted by mccxxiii at 5:00 PM on May 30

Rent is a good one
posted by insectosaurus at 5:34 PM on May 30

I will add myself to the Hamilton chorus. It's been non-stop on my playlist for a few months now. I'm still jazzed when I hear those first words...'How does a bastard orphan....'
posted by MissPitts at 6:36 PM on May 30

Hamilton and Six are great, as well as Chess and Hairspray. The Boy From Oz is also great for its energy levels, although it would probably be harder to follow the narrative from the cast recording on its own.
posted by sueinnyc at 7:57 PM on May 30

Onegin, Canadian musical version.
posted by miles1972 at 8:09 PM on May 30

25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee
posted by assenav at 8:51 PM on May 30

Once More With Feeling (the Buffy musical episode.)
posted by tomboko at 8:14 AM on May 31 [1 favorite]

Thoroughly Modern Millie

A Chorus Line

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
posted by fluttering hellfire at 9:09 AM on May 31

Hairspray, either original or updated. Its finale, "You Can't Stop the Beat" (previously), was a track in a gym aerobics series -- they licence pop songs for choreography.
No love for Disney's Emperor's New Groove, Moana, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules and/or Frozen I/II?
posted by k3ninho at 11:57 AM on May 31

« Older Need a printer, stat   |   How difficult is it it regularly shower in a... Newer »