Scat scat!

What animal pooped?

We found this in our yard today. At first we thought it was a rock, and then when touched with a shovel, nope, it's squishy. I looked online and can't seem to figure out what the heck it was. We know we are surrounded by deer, wolves, raccoons, squirrels, occasional cougar and bear. And lots of birds of course.

Island in the Pacific Northwest, very rural. There was a slug on it. Pen for scale.
posted by miles1972 to Pets & Animals (8 answers total)

It's not racoon or bear, probably. It looks sort of like cow plop - do you have moose or elk? With how wet everything is their poo changes when they eat a lot of leaves.
posted by fiercekitten at 10:44 PM on May 24

Elk? They tend to do round green poos like that. How big is it?
posted by mygothlaundry at 10:48 PM on May 24

Did you break it open to see what's inside? It looks rather like the product of a bear that has been feeding on berries.
posted by monotreme at 11:27 PM on May 24

That looks a lot like cow manure to me. Do you have any cattle or cows in your area? Maybe one on the loose? It could also possibly be horse manure, too, but it looks more like cow manure to me.
posted by SageTrail at 12:01 AM on May 25

That could be summer scat from a large ungulate like an elk or moose. When they have lots of green leafy vegetation to eat in the warm months their scat often doesn't come in the oval nugget form that most people think of. Also maybe it got rained on a bit? You're in BC, right? Given your location I'd guess it's Roosevelt Elk, since moose aren't really seen in coastal BC.

If it's full of seeds it would probably be from a bear, but it doesn't look like that from outward appearances. It's definitely not cougar or wolf.
posted by theory at 1:24 AM on May 25 [3 favorites]

Raccoon, squirrel, bird: no. too big

Bear: No. too small

Cougar or wolf: nope. Both animales are obligate carnivores, or meat-eating only. The only way an obligate carnivore could end up with green feces would be if the food moved through the digestive tract so quickly that bile, the main fat-digesting enzyme in mammals, didn't have enough time to turn brown

By process of elimination (pun.giggle.), then, we're dealing with a cervid, a member of the deer family-- a deer, an elk, or moose

No idea which of those three it is, though
posted by BadgerDoctor at 5:30 AM on May 25 [2 favorites]

I agree with the people who say it looks like the soft spring scat of a deer, elk or moose. I don't think it's too big to be from a deer, so if you see a lot of deer around and you don't see elk or moose, I would guess deer.
posted by Redstart at 5:43 AM on May 25 [1 favorite]

Locals have confirmed: deer. Thanks all.
posted by miles1972 at 10:01 AM on May 25 [1 favorite]

« Older What are some healthier alternatives to creme...   |   Help my brother track down two SFF novels Newer »