Publishers
May 22, 2020 10:56 AM   Subscribe

Who are some small book publishers you like, and what genre or genres are they good at?
posted by aniola to Writing & Language (17 answers total) 10 users marked this as a favorite

Great question! I like Forest Avenue Press - mostly fiction, occasionally a memoir. I read a mystery series published by Polis Press. Also Prospect Park Books and Counterpoint. They publish most genres. I like the idea of Two Dollar Radio but I confess I’ve never read one of their books!
posted by lyssabee at 11:07 AM on May 22 [1 favorite]

Belt Publishing out of Cleveland focuses on the Rust Belt and Midwest, both fiction and non-fiction. They have a city anthology series and have republished a number of out-of-print works. They also publish Belt Magazine.
posted by plastic_animals at 11:19 AM on May 22 [2 favorites]

Haymarket Press, specializing in Leftist political works. They publish Noam Chomsky, Arundhati Roy, and Keeanga Yamahtta-Taylor, among others. They’re based in Chicago.
posted by holborne at 11:19 AM on May 22 [1 favorite]

I really like Air & Nothingness Press. Their earlier releases were English translations of the French surrealist poet Robert Desnos' work, but lately they've been publishing more speculative short story collections and novellas. The books themselves are all pretty gorgeous. Even the paperbacks have French flaps and it just makes them look so fancy.
posted by helloimjennsco at 11:22 AM on May 22 [1 favorite]

I'm fond of Melville House. They tend toward literary stuff.

I really like AK Press, which publishes anarchist materials. I look to them when I need a good dose of the radical to cut through all the centrist liberalism in my life.

Milkweed Editions does literary fiction, nonfiction, and poetry. "We take risks on debut and experimental writers."

Seconding Belt Publishing.
posted by Orlop at 11:33 AM on May 22 [1 favorite]

Lost Art Press focuses almost entirely on woodworking. Their books are fucking gorgeous, designed to last a very long time, and are incredibly useful if you're into minimalist woodworking.
posted by furnace.heart at 12:04 PM on May 22 [2 favorites]

I love Chronicle Books, which makes gorgeously designed books and stationery. Plus they have a monthly ebook sale.

I really like Phaidon's comprehensive cookbooks.

Taunton Press publishes Fine Woodworking and Fine Cooking magazines, and related books/materials.
posted by toastyk at 12:21 PM on May 22 [2 favorites]

I like Arsenal Pulp Press (focuses on LGBTQ books)
Greywolf Press does fiction, nonfiction, and poetry, though the books of theirs that I've enjoyed have been nonfiction that's personal but not necessarily straight memoir.
posted by needs more cowbell at 12:29 PM on May 22 [1 favorite]

Greywolf Press puts out a lot of interesting authors like Claudia Rankine and Carmen Maria Machado.
posted by praemunire at 12:29 PM on May 22 [1 favorite]

For non-fiction, I've always been impressed with Profile Books. They publish some fascinating general non-fiction titles but also publish on some esoteric topics in a very accessible way.
posted by jacobean at 1:44 PM on May 22 [1 favorite]

Soho Press has great mystery/crime fiction imprint with many series from many different countries. The also have literary fiction and teen fiction imprints.
posted by calgirl at 2:51 PM on May 22 [1 favorite]

In case you didn't see it - there is some overlap with this question about interesting publishing imprints.
posted by paduasoy at 3:26 PM on May 22 [1 favorite]

Valancourt Books republishes a lot of old gothic and horror stuff that is either out of print or hard to find in a decent edition.
posted by BlackLeotardFront at 5:29 PM on May 22 [2 favorites]

Pomegranate Press specializes in non-fiction related to the entertainment industry. They also have some fiction titles through the Cumberland Press imprint.
posted by The Underpants Monster at 6:23 PM on May 22 [1 favorite]

Rebellion, titan, solaris books are all small fantasy and Sci Fi publishers that i like.
posted by smoke at 6:31 PM on May 22 [1 favorite]

Subterranean Press for horror/sf/fantasy, Greywolf as many have already said, Lee & Low for children's.
posted by colorblock sock at 3:08 AM on May 23 [1 favorite]

Metonymy Press for "quality materials relevant to queer, feminist, and social justice communities", they're very small and still fairly new, but I'm a big fan of everything they've put out so far.
posted by ITheCosmos at 5:07 AM on May 23 [1 favorite]

« Older Carpenter bee, friend or foe?   |   Please help me navigate this unemployment... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments