Can you help me with this aphorism and attribution?

It's something like "When you have health, you can want anything and everything. When you don’t have health, you only want one thing" -- but that's not exactly it. Where does it come from? Thanks!
posted by Roy Batty to Media & Arts (5 answers total)

According to Goodreads, it's a quote from the Augusten Burroughs memoir Dry, but this wouldn't be the first time the Internet misattributed a quote.
posted by zeusianfog at 11:35 AM on May 20

Searching the book (via Google Books), I don't find that, but instead "The cliche When you have your health, you have everything is very true. When you do not have your health, nothing else matters at all."
posted by Mr.Know-it-some at 11:42 AM on May 20 [1 favorite]

I find a lot of people using the phrase "A Healthy Person Has a Thousand Wishes, a Sick Person Only One" and claiming it is an Indian proverb. No specific attribution, I'm afraid!
posted by DSime at 11:44 AM on May 20 [3 favorites]

There's that line from The Princess Bride: "If you haven't got your health, you haven't got anything."
posted by jocelmeow at 12:17 PM on May 20 [3 favorites]

I'm not sure, but I know that in one of his essays, James Balwin wrote, "Money, it turned out, was exactly like sex. You thought of nothing else if you didn't have it and thought of other things if you did." This site attributes it to 'The Black Boy Looks at the White Boy in Esquire', 1961.
posted by trotzdem_kunst at 4:55 AM on May 21

« Older housemate woes - quarantine edition   |   Another career change question Newer »