Find that poem

For years I've been looking for a poem I read in high school. Google is failing me. Help!

Here's what I remember:

- It was a love poem, with a sentiment about what would be gone from the writer's life without their partner. There's a repeating motif of something like, "if it wasn't for you..." or "if it weren't for you..." or "without you..."
- The ending is along the lines of, "if it weren't for you, no one would trim the tree by the house, and the scratching branch would sing me to sleep. " I've tried to google variations of this many times with no luck.
- It was in a big poetry anthology aimed at 11th grade English students, so I imagine this isn't something obscure.

Thank you!
posted by sonmi to Media & Arts (6 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

When were you in high school? It would help to get a sense of when the book was used.
posted by dlugoczaj at 10:05 AM on May 18

2004-2006ish!
posted by sonmi at 10:34 AM on May 18

Was it Without you by Adrian Henri?
posted by Martha My Dear Prudence at 1:14 PM on May 18

Possibly Otherwise by Jane Kenyon?
posted by dancing leaves at 2:20 PM on May 18

Neither of those, I’m afraid.
posted by sonmi at 7:06 AM on May 19

In the grand tradition of solving your own problem the day after you post about it, I found the poem! It's To Dorothy by Marvin Bell. I got some of the details wrong and not sure how I forgot those opening lines, but chanced on the right search terms finally, I guess!
posted by sonmi at 10:53 AM on May 19 [2 favorites]

« Older 2020 state of the art mold-free basement basement...   |   Donate for media that supports Democrats with any... Newer »