Higher Quality Video Chat Recording?

I'd like to record some family history video chats with my mom. Zoom's built-in video recording feature produces recordings that seem lower quality than what the hardware itself could do (an ~8MB/min low-resolution recording from zoom vs a ~300MB/min high-resolution recording from my phone). Is there an option that would record both sides of the video chat but be higher quality? She'll be using a pixel phone, while I'll be on either macOS or a pixel 4 phone.

I assume the key issue is bandwidth; is there an easy way to record separately and combine the videos after the fact? We most likely will NOT be using headphones, but could if that's the only option.
posted by matildatakesovertheworld to Technology (3 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Is there a reason you can’t do a screen recording on your computer?
posted by mekily at 4:07 PM on May 16 [1 favorite]

If using google hangouts is an option, I think it records in the native resolution of the call (I've seen 720p recordings there).
posted by Arthur Dent at 4:23 AM on May 17

« Older Creating a built-in dresser out of an ugly tiny...   |   Help me pro/con donating blood or platelets in NYC... Newer »