All-browser MacOS Facebook issue...

I hate to be asking this here, but I'm not sure there's any place that could competently/comprehensively answer: I'm on MacOS 10.13.4, and as of this morning in all of the three browser I have to hand (Firefox 75.0 first, then Safari 11.1, then Chrome 81.0.4044.129), Facebook seems to have (temporarily) disowned me.

Clicking a link (to show in new tab) from a FB page in tab I had open overnight showed a blank page. Then, trying to reload the original page, it showed a "Sorry, something went wrong. We're working on getting this fixed as soon as we can." notice. Then, trying the other browsers, where I was unlogged, they first opened the FB page link, but when I tried to log in, they also showed either the error notice, or a blank page. I switched to my phone where the FB app worked normally, and let me change my password, which I duly received a mail about. This notwithstanding, and despite a restart of the computer, and a change of wifi (from my router to my phone's hotspot) neither of the three browsers let me log into FB.
Then, half an hour later, back on the router wifi, and having added the multi-account container feature in Firefox, all three browsers are now letting me log in again.
Is there a reasonable hypothesis to explain what just happened? I avoid Facebook like the plague (but am currently obliged to stay connected/logged in), and I did not like the feel of the way this temporary shutout happened...
posted by progosk to Computers & Internet (2 answers total)

There’s really no way to know. If it wasn’t a network connection problem at your end - that is to say, if it wasn’t reasonably within your control - then it could have been any one of a large number of transient service issues on their end, or between you and them.
posted by mhoye at 6:15 AM on May 2, 2020 [1 favorite]

Looks like there was a spike in issues with their services this morning. The app connects to the site differently so it wasn't affected the same way.
posted by bcwinters at 6:19 AM on May 2, 2020

« Older Sick relative and legal documents   |   RV rental in Maine Newer »