What should I watch next? super picky and demanding edition

Sorry as I know this is a perennial question but I hope you're all bored enough to maybe help! I'm looking for something to take my mind off things at the mo and make me feel good and happy too. However I am ridiculously picky and have the world's shortest attention span! So I wonder - could you recommend something on UK Netflix or Amazon Prime that I'd like...?

Requirements:

- fantasy, sci-fi and/or conspiracy type theme
- lots of cool twists and turns
- two or three seasons max
- a good, satisfying ending
- no child death
- no sexual violence and nothing graphic
- no sex but snogging is fine
- meta elements
- comforting, sympathetic and feel good characters
- moral/thoughtful
- no boring filler episodes
- love story or will-they-won't-they is fine

Thanks so much, any and all recs will be super useful!!
posted by low_horrible_immoral to Media & Arts (20 answers total) 22 users marked this as a favorite

The Good Place checks off your list.
posted by teamnap at 1:56 AM on April 12, 2020 [12 favorites]

The Good Place hits everything on your list, but maybe also check out Firefly or Russian Doll (some chars more sympathetic than others, ymmv).
posted by iamkimiam at 2:34 AM on April 12, 2020 [7 favorites]

I also came here came here to recommend Russian Doll(Netflix) I think it ticks all of your boxes.
A slightly out of left field recommendation, but I think Santa Clarita Diet (Netflix)would be great to watch right now, it has enough fun wacky campy elements, but is also very much in the feel good vein.
The Bryan Fuller trilogy of shows (Dead Like Me, Wonderfalls, Pushing Daisies ) all easily fit your constraints, have cult followings, and I can’t recommend them highly enough.
i haven’t seen it yet, but based on your list Life on Mars (the original British series) could fit all the boxes, time travel sci-fi twist and turns to boot.
About time is not a tv show, but the Sci-fi plot meets Richard Curtis’ feel good dialogue would be great for a movie night that leaves you feeling warm and cozy.
P.S. enthusiastically 3rding The Good Place.
If you haven’t seen the creator’s other show, and don’t mind a lack of a Sci-fi element, Parks and Rec is great too!
posted by Champagne Supernova at 2:56 AM on April 12, 2020 [7 favorites]

Doesn't hit all the boxes (more than 3 seasons, filler episodes & satisfying endings are in the eye of the beholder, I honestly don't remember any child deaths or sexual violence (at least on screen) but I cannot 100% guarantee they won't have disturbing elements, not 100% sure they're currently available for free on your platforms), but you still might like:

Eureka : "A U.S. Marshall becomes the sheriff of a remote cozy little Northwestern town of Eureka where the best minds in the US have secretly been tucked away to build futuristic inventions for the government which often go disastrously wrong." (Disastrously wrong mostly being humourous.)

Warehouse 13: Two Secret Service agents find themselves abruptly transferred to Warehouse 13 - a massive, top secret storage facility in windswept South Dakota that houses every strange artifact, mysterious relic, fantastical object and supernatural souvenir ever collected by the U.S. government. Their new job is to track and recover these relics still out in the world. (Exists in the same universe as Eureka, so it's similar in tone & approach, sort of the "fantasy" companion to Eureka's "science fiction", there are some crossover episodes.)

The Librarians: Similar to Warehouse 13, in that a group of people discover that there's a hidden world of mysterious and powerful artifacts, and it's their job to retrieve them. A spin off of 3 made-for-US-tv movies (which you also might like) with different main characters (although the main character from the movies does make some guest appearances.)

Grimm: "Portland Homicide detective Nick Burkhardt discovers he is a Grimm, the latest in a line of guardians who are sworn to keep the balance between humanity and mythological creatures, known as Wesen." (Rather more serious than the above three, a bit melodramatic, sex is very clearly happening but not on screen, takes a season or two but turns into far more of an ensemble/team show than just focusing on Nick Burkhardt.)

Less sure because sex & violence:

Killjoys: "Killjoys follows a fun-loving, hard living trio of interplanetary bounty hunters sworn to remain impartial as they chase deadly warrants throughout the Quad, a distant system on the brink of a bloody, multiplanetary class war."

Dark Matter: "In the dystopian 27th century, six people wake up on a deserted spaceship with no memory of who they are or what they're doing there. They reluctantly team up and set off to find answers with the help of a female android."

(While I looooove Santa Clarita Diet - Drew Barrymore & Tim Olyphant are just fantastic - it is pretty gory, and it does not have a satisfying ending because it was abruptly not renewed.)
posted by soundguy99 at 4:09 AM on April 12, 2020 [9 favorites]

Counterpart
posted by NotMyselfRightNow at 4:44 AM on April 12, 2020 [5 favorites]

City and the City on Amazon Prime, based on the very good book by China Mieville.
posted by wicked_sassy at 6:08 AM on April 12, 2020

I really enjoyed Maniac which I think checks all your boxes. It's a 10 episode miniseries.
posted by justkevin at 6:34 AM on April 12, 2020

no recs, but if you want to double check any suggestions, you can check for these three:
- no child death
- no sex but snogging is fine

on DoesTheDogDie.com
posted by gaybobbie at 7:35 AM on April 12, 2020 [2 favorites]

Good Omens! There are light suggestions of violence (I mean, one character is War), but they're bloodless and over very quickly. Also it never fails to make me so happy, and so in love with the world. I honestly think it ticks every, or nearly every, box for you.
posted by kalimac at 7:59 AM on April 12, 2020 [5 favorites]

Raising Dion, available on Netflix meets your criteria. It's about a family where the child gets superpowers. It has some depth to it morally and has some really good plot twists.
posted by Eyelash at 8:24 AM on April 12, 2020

I don't even really like TV and I loved Russian Doll, so I nth that but will note that it is ever so slightly graphic, since the premise is that the main character keeps dying over and over again, and there are a couple of sex scenes.
posted by ferret branca at 9:44 AM on April 12, 2020 [1 favorite]

Response by poster: Thanks so much for all your replies!
posted by low_horrible_immoral at 10:13 AM on April 12, 2020

Lodge 49 perhaps. 2 Seasons. First is on Prime (at least in Canada).
posted by Ashwagandha at 10:19 AM on April 12, 2020 [2 favorites]

Seconding Lodge 49.

Also try The Middleman (on amazon prime.)
posted by gudrun at 11:09 AM on April 12, 2020 [2 favorites]

Timeless seems like a pretty good match. Time travel scifi, two seasons plus double episode finale that wraps things up quite satisfyingly. No sex scenes and I'm certain no child death. Good sympathetic characters who are mostly trying to do the right thing but sometimes debate whether the right thing is to protect history as is (preventing unknown harms by changing history) or to try to save individuals they meet. Excellent love story (IMHO).
posted by *becca* at 12:31 PM on April 12, 2020 [2 favorites]

Hmm. Just in case I checked Timeless on doesthedogdie as linked above and was reminded that one of the main character's wife and child were killed before the start point of the story and this is referenced fairly often but not shown on screen.
posted by *becca* at 12:35 PM on April 12, 2020

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

There's some gore, but not too much.

The Tick

No Tomorrow

I loved No Tomorrow more than most people. It was very positive and optimistic despite what the title suggests.
posted by under_petticoat_rule at 1:28 PM on April 12, 2020

Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries

Will you consider vids from other sources? Non fiction?
Tim Hunkin's Secret Life of Machines: low production values, informative, charming, fascinating.
posted by at at 3:04 PM on April 12, 2020

Dispatches from Elsewhere is very cute and wholesome and involves conspiracies. It's only one season though, currently.
posted by FirstMateKate at 8:15 AM on April 13, 2020 [1 favorite]

I binge-watched The OA recently and have no regrets. It has a SF/F theme. It is twisty. It had two seasons before getting cancelled. I think the ending is fantastic but you might not find it "satisfying" as the creators intended for the show to be five or six seasons which they had plotted out in advance. There is an upsetting death but I don't know if it's what you have in mind when you say "child death." (Clarifying my confusion would result in spoilers.) There's no sexual violence or explicit sex. There is a meta element. The characters are very sympathetic. It is a very thoughtful show. There's no filler. There is a love story.
posted by zeusianfog at 12:22 PM on April 13, 2020

« Older Will my kid be Jewish?   |   Italian Easter Egg Clue Needed! Newer »