What should I put on the base of my bathtub for more comfortable baths?

My bathtub has a rough, non-smooth texture to prevent you from slipping when taking a shower. Unfortunately, it's fairly uncomfortable when I'm lounging on my back taking a bath. What should I put on the base of my bathtub for a more comfortable reading experience? And where should I buy it? I'd prefer something that (1.) is removable, (2.) won't develop any kind of mold, and **optionally** (3.) is non-toxic/non-plastic. But again, (3.) is negotiable and I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks!
posted by jtothes to Home & Garden (11 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Maybe something like this (Amazon) or this (Bed Bath and Beyond)? Might at least give you some key words to search for. I think for anything you use I would hang to dry after each use to prevent the slightest chance of mold and mildew, which seems inevitable otherwise.
posted by charmedimsure at 11:32 PM on April 9, 2020 [1 favorite]

How about just using a towel? You won't have to buy anything extra/plastic/chemical smelling, and it can just drip dry it when you're not using it (towels tend to dry quickly), and you can launder it whenever you want. Bonus: you won't have to work too hard to figure out how to store it when you're not using it.
posted by amtho at 12:20 AM on April 10, 2020 [16 favorites]

I recently experienced a towel bath, and wow! It was great! Definitely something that was a bit weird because of a life time making sure not to dip my towel accidentally! Wet towel aversion, hehehehe.
posted by freethefeet at 12:40 AM on April 10, 2020 [3 favorites]

Thirding laying down a towel. Works perfectly and is probably as soft as anything else you could buy, plus you can just drip-dry or toss it in the dryer.
posted by Thorzdad at 1:50 AM on April 10, 2020 [1 favorite]

Before I saw the other answers I also came to suggest a towel. I've used one in such circumstances and it worked fine and was easily washed and dried. A pillowcase could work but would be too thin I think. I think anything else is just going to be annoying - if it's not easy to launder regularly it'll get smelly.
posted by kitten magic at 3:30 AM on April 10, 2020 [1 favorite]

I've used a yoga mat in the bathtub. They're a little weird because they float (which I've actually used to my advantage with a really thick one when I was having back trouble), but they're comfy! I've also used a towel and it's a much simpler solution.
posted by brainmouse at 7:06 AM on April 10, 2020

Response by poster: I'm hearing a lot of suggestions to use a towel, but I take a bath every day. I would worry about the towels getting moldy, and it would be too much of a hassle to run the dryer every day (I also imagine it wouldn't be great for my towels).
posted by jtothes at 7:10 AM on April 10, 2020

The bathtub mats from Wal-Mart are cheap, flexible, easy to use, and easy to throw out and replace. Be careful about slipping, since they sometimes do move.
I pull mine up, roll into a loose tube, and let air dry in the bathtub. I do not use the tub for baths every day, so if I take a shower I let it continue drying elsewhere. Sometimes I scrub it lightly on the suction cup side with a washcloth, but that's about it.

Towels are also a nice cushion, with or without the bath mat. It's no trouble to transfer the wet towel into a basket and wash with other items.
I enjoy an inflatable pillow against the back rim. Towels move around and can drip water over the side.
posted by TrishaU at 7:29 AM on April 10, 2020

A step beyond a towel, try one of those cheap fleece lap blankets. Soft, and when you are finished you can pop it in the washer and spin out the water. They cost next to nothing so you can get several and always have a clean one ready to go. They would dry super fast too!
posted by LaBellaStella at 9:39 AM on April 10, 2020 [1 favorite]

Best answer: When my kids were small we used a bathtub mat from Ikea that worked fine. Ours was shaped like an alligator; I don't see it there now but this is similar (and less conspicuous). To avoid mildew I pulled it up and hung it from the wall after each use. Even better if you can hang it so it's draped over a soap dish ledge or similar to allow for airflow on both sides. It's made of rubber, not plastic. Ours lasted several years of frequent use before becoming irredeemably mildewed.

I agree that a towel is impractical; a fully soaked towel is probably not going to dry completely in a day, especially hanging in a bathroom. And few things are worse than damp and moldy towels!
posted by Jemstar at 12:01 PM on April 10, 2020

Camping towels are designed to wring out easily and dry quickly. They are thin so probably not a comfy as a regular towel but certainly a nicer texture than a hard rough surface. However they are synthetic.
posted by Mitheral at 12:53 PM on April 10, 2020 [1 favorite]

« Older Trying to assemble a comprehensive reading list on...   |   Best Finger Protector for GRATER/MANDOLIN/SLICER? Newer »