What was this book about getting stranded on a tropical island?

I'm trying to find a book I read as a kid, but can't find anything on google.

What I can remember:

-young man was on a ship which goes down, leaving him stranded on an island
- luscious descriptions of plants and wildlife, and a lagoon in which he often dives. He lives near the beach, but the island has hills and wild boar he hunts with a homemade spear
- near the end he builds some sort of boat? To visit other nearby islands and then there's a whole not-ok bit about man-eating natives and a missionary.

It wasn't Robinson Crusoe although it sort of sounds like it. The title was short. What was this book? It was my parents so it's at least 30 years old and I suspect older.
posted by stillnocturnal to Media & Arts (12 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

The Coral Island? Checks for shipwreck, wild pigs, cannibalism, and missionaries at the end.
posted by MonkeyToes at 5:14 AM on April 6, 2020

Response by poster: Ooh, I definitely have read Coral Island, and now I'm wondering if I'm just confused - the book I recall I was sure had a single character for the majority, but memory is an unreliable thing. I'll have to read it and see if it clicks.
posted by stillnocturnal at 5:21 AM on April 6, 2020

Call It Courage?
posted by phunniemee at 5:33 AM on April 6, 2020 [3 favorites]

That’s totally Call it Courage
posted by rockindata at 5:43 AM on April 6, 2020

The Coral Island, Gutenberg.
posted by MonkeyToes at 5:45 AM on April 6, 2020 [1 favorite]

The Cay?
posted by terretu at 5:58 AM on April 6, 2020 [1 favorite]

Castaway is a riveting book and movie, probably not the one you're looking for, but you might like it.
posted by theora55 at 6:09 AM on April 6, 2020

It's not The Cay; there are two of them on that island and the narrator is blind and does no hunting.
posted by gideonfrog at 6:38 AM on April 6, 2020 [1 favorite]

The Blue Lagoon but three characters
posted by TheRaven at 7:02 AM on April 6, 2020

It's not old enough (2008) but it sounds a lot like a Terry Pratchett stand-alone Nation
posted by mce at 7:42 AM on April 6, 2020

What about Hatchet by Gary Paulsen? There's a plane crash and the kid ends up in a forest, but some elements are the same as your description.
posted by wicked_sassy at 8:56 AM on April 6, 2020

Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O’Dell. Protagonist is female but doesn’t have much bearing on the story.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island_of_the_Blue_Dolphins
posted by sol at 9:43 AM on April 6, 2020 [2 favorites]

« Older Calming activities   |   I have two new N-95 masks. Ok to use them or not? Newer »