Seizures of N95 Masks - Official Reasoning? Most Likely True Reasoning?
April 5, 2020 3:13 PM   Subscribe

State governments are referring to seizures of N95 masks by the Trump Administration -- Somerset County, NJ (35k), Mass. (3m), Honeywell -- not to mention outbiddings. I am far from a Trump supporter, but I am wondering what they say their supposed purpose of these seizures is. Most of the social media reactions seem to come from 'keeping them out of the hands of those that need them', 'killing his own people', etc. What is the Trump Administration saying is the reasoning or strategy behind buying/outbidding these? And also, what is the most likely true reasoning or strategy behind this?
posted by WCityMike to Law & Government (7 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

follow Josh. He won't publish... let's call it unverifiable bullshit.
posted by j_curiouser at 3:28 PM on April 5 [6 favorites]

Massachusetts and Colorado both had shipments seized by the federal government.

Jared Kushner said, on record, that the federal acquisition of medical equipment was 'ours, not for states to use', which begs the question of who the federal government is going to provide that equipment to if not the states.
posted by ananci at 4:43 PM on April 5 [11 favorites]

Josh just now on breaking AP PPE seizures story.
posted by j_curiouser at 7:28 PM on April 5

[A couple deleted. Please stick to answers that have some sort of sourcing and address the question, rather than top of the head guesses or just free-form rants. If you want to express your feelings about Trump / government actions, we have threads on the blue where you can do that. For Ask Metafilter, the goal is to provide the most reliable info available to help answer a concrete question in a straighforward way. Such info is not always available, and that's okay, too. Thank you.]
posted by taz (staff) at 6:32 AM on April 6 [1 favorite]

The interesting thing about those TPM articles is what's not there, and Josh Marshall knows it. The key line is
Baker did not say which agency confiscated the goods or under what authority.
Like, "the Feds" don't confiscate things, because "the Feds" aren't a thing that exists. Individual federal agencies confiscate things under specific authorities (if someone says "the Feds" took something, then it could be the CBP, TSA, IRS, DEA, or any of a number of other agencies, depending on what exactly was being taken and why). If we don't know who did it, we don't know what rationale or authority they had to do so. And that's a big important question which, AFAICT, has not actually been answered in stories about this confiscation.
posted by jackbishop at 8:38 AM on April 6 [2 favorites]

Sorry, I should have been clearer. The seizure, at least in Colorado, was by FEMA.
posted by ananci at 11:49 AM on April 6

« Older What is this piece of studio gear?   |   I need a place to sit. Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments