M.E.T.A. brought us together

What might be the significance of wearing white robes in Theravada (or other Buddhism schools), especially after having worn saffron? (Song lyric question.)

The question is prompted by the lyric at 2:40 in this song. The full lyrics don’t seem to be anywhere online. The overall song is a farewell but I’m interested in what particular meaning in Buddhism, or what other media that references or exploits monk robes, might have prompted that lyric.
posted by michaelh to Media & Arts (4 answers total)

Best answer: In Theravada Buddhism white robes are worn by anagarikas or lay renunciates in training for ordination, by maechis or devout laywomen and by laypeople on Uposatha observance days.
posted by little eiffel at 1:36 PM on April 4, 2020

Best answer: You're welcome.
posted by little eiffel at 5:54 PM on April 9, 2020

Response by poster: :) I was hoping there would be more to it than that, but that tracks with what I read and introduced me to some new terms. Thank you.
posted by michaelh at 4:39 PM on April 15, 2020

Oh, I missed the second part about wearing white after having worn saffron robes. This presents a very different connotation. In this case it is a half step from renunciation and into the world because the constraints are less. There are 227 rules for Theravadin monks but only 8 precepts for an anagarika.
posted by little eiffel at 12:33 AM on April 16, 2020

« Older USB C Hub stops USB A Headset from working   |   sharp shoulder spasm Newer »