Ideas for play space in a smaller yard?

We have a small sandbox. Other ideas? Kids range in age from 4-9. If there’s something with a mid-century look, we’d especially love that.

I’m looking for ideas to help my kids play outside. Budget is about $500, but if there’s something more expensive feel free to share and we may be able to replicate it on a budget. There is not room for a swing set.
I’d still love a swing. A tree swing won’t work - there’s not a good tree for it. I thought of a hammock chair, but is there anything else that could work? Or ideally something that could fit 2? I also thought if one of those mini climbing gyms I’ve seen around, but they take up some space and I’m worried my kids are a bit old to really spend much time on them.
We do have sidewalk chalk, bikes, scooters, bubbles, that kind of thing (and I recognize we’re fortunate to have that and to have any yard at all).
Any ideas are appreciated!
posted by areaperson to Home & Garden (9 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

cardboard boxes for box forts. my kids spend hours constructing and reconstructing them.
posted by toastyk at 9:32 AM on April 3, 2020

What about a playhouse or clubhouse (you can get one with a mid-century look)? When I was 8 years old mine was my favorite thing in the world?
posted by Pineapplicious at 9:34 AM on April 3, 2020

Small exercise trampoline

Children's tent/fort
posted by hydra77 at 9:35 AM on April 3, 2020

When I was a kid we had enormous tinker toys. They were awesome. We could build legit forts and obstacle courses and may have also made an agility course for our dogs. They don’t make them anymore, sadly, but you can replicate them somewhat well with pvc pipe of various sizes and lengths with various couplings and elbows and what not. Some of my funnest childhood memories was with those enormous tinker toys (I have seen them from time to time on eBay).
posted by Sassyfras at 9:52 AM on April 3, 2020 [2 favorites]

Kiddie pool.
posted by kevinbelt at 9:57 AM on April 3, 2020

When I was a kid we had enormous tinker toys. They were awesome. We could build legit forts and obstacle courses and may have also made an agility course for our dogs.

They still have toys like that - Crazy Forts.
posted by any portmanteau in a storm at 11:15 AM on April 3, 2020 [1 favorite]

Response by poster: I love the tinker toy idea. Does anyone have experience with the crazy forts product and if they’re durable?

We do have a tent we set up sometimes. If you have suggestions for a playhouse or kids teepee or tent, please share. Thanks!
posted by areaperson at 11:50 AM on April 3, 2020

Magic Cabin has an amazing selection of backyard toys, including swing-type things that could fit two.
posted by corey flood at 12:16 PM on April 3, 2020 [2 favorites]

This is too big for your space but it would be great if you could find a smaller version of these kinds of building blocks - Imagination Playground - Big Blue Blocks Set
posted by victoriab at 5:38 PM on April 3, 2020

« Older What is the best translation of this from Latin to...   |   Helping my brother with covid19 in NYC Newer »