Can I eat it? Sushi rice

I have an unopened bag of Lundberg Sushi Rice with a best before of 20170503. Yes or no?
posted by kokaku to Food & Drink (8 answers total)

From that link: "But remember that brown and white rice, like a lot of other grains, usually have a best by date and not an expiration date. Because of this, you can safely use it beyond the best by date."
posted by bricoleur at 12:20 PM on April 2, 2020 [3 favorites]

Best answer: Double-check that you have no pantry moths/larvae. I swear those little assholes can chew through plastic; I've seen pinholes in unopened packages and voila.
posted by dlugoczaj at 12:32 PM on April 2, 2020 [4 favorites]

As long as there aren’t bugs in there, I’d eat it.
posted by bile and syntax at 12:44 PM on April 2, 2020 [6 favorites]

I would eat it. I just had short grain white rice that was at least that old and it was delicious. And I’m pretty selective about rice.
posted by HotToddy at 1:38 PM on April 2, 2020 [1 favorite]

You should smell it, and if it smells good, you should eat it. If it smells rancid, throw it out. And yes --- I have learned that rice absolutely can go rancid.
posted by leahwrenn at 4:10 PM on April 2, 2020 [1 favorite]

White rice lasts effective forever. If there are moths, you can wash the rice before cooking. They aren't really bad for you, just gross.
posted by theora55 at 5:20 PM on April 2, 2020 [3 favorites]

I'd eat it.
posted by RolandOfEld at 6:18 PM on April 3, 2020

« Older My amazon fire tablet was stolen and is being used...   |   What is causing these the symptoms in my car that... Newer »