Bread is fab, don't get me wrong. But I also want to eat other things!

For lack of any other flour in the store, I bought a few kgs of ''all-in'' bread mix in different variations (white, wheat, brown, etc). It's the kind where you just add water. What else can I do with it besides, you know, make bread?

I don't know how the presence of yeast, powdered oil, etc. will effect other methods of cooking. If I had normal flour, my plan would be to make dumplings, pierogis, pizza dough, muffins, pancakes, homemade pasta, cookies, making a roux, etc. Can I do all these using this flour? Are there other things I should be using with it? Is there anything I should absolutely not make with it? Thanks in advance for any tips!
posted by hasna to Food & Drink (10 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

So it looks like what you have in there is mostly flour with yeast, salt and a little sugar added. I think the sugar may be there just to kickstart the yeast, there isn't really much of it so I wouldn't take that into account. Generally I would use this anywhere you would otherwise make a yeasted dough, substituting 1:1 for flour and eliminating any yeast or salt. So pizza dough would be great, there are some good recipes for yeasted waffles and pancakes, you could probably swing muffins. Cookies could be interesting, not sure how the texture would turn out there. I think dumplings, pierogis, home made pasta and roux are all probably a no-go, unless you want weird puffy versions of those things.
posted by Lazlo Hollyfeld at 5:11 AM on April 2, 2020 [2 favorites]

I think you could probably make the roux - the yeast will get killed when you add the flour to the butter.
posted by mskyle at 5:31 AM on April 2, 2020

Yes you can use this in anything that will be cooked at a high temperature within a few minutes of making the dough/batter. The yeast will only become active in the right conditions.
posted by lollusc at 5:38 AM on April 2, 2020

Yeasted Pancakes & waffles are a thing & tasty as are yeasted dumplings. neither do the whole double rise thing bread does & just add yeast to the dough & pretty much make as normal so I imagine both would work fine though the texture will be a bit different. There are also cakes & biscuits (US style) recipes that involve yeast.
posted by wwax at 7:10 AM on April 2, 2020

You can try making crackers. Many recipes, like this one, are extremely fast. The crackers will be made and cooked before the yeast has a chance to do much of anything. And crackers are amenable to a small test batch, so if it doesn't work out you won't have lost much.
posted by jedicus at 7:16 AM on April 2, 2020 [1 favorite]

Mmmmm, soft pretzels.
posted by BrashTech at 9:39 AM on April 2, 2020

FWIW, my wife just came home yesterday with a 50 pound bag of flour from Costco, so I think our (not very) long flourless nightmare is over.
posted by sideshow at 10:18 AM on April 2, 2020

If you need a little flour to thicken a sauce or coat chicken or something, do a taste test with a small amount, but I think you could easily use this.
posted by theora55 at 10:43 AM on April 2, 2020

well from wine and kombucha making I can tell you that 140 degrees Fahrenheit is hot enough to kill all your yeast, so if you wanted to heat your flour up to there it would essentially be active yeast free. However! the gluten in flour will start to degrade as well (I believe gluten is like, inactivated at 160f), so you might need to experiment!

I made dumplings (like for stew) using regular flour yesterday, and I don't think if it had been yeasted flour it would have made any difference since they were fully finished cooking within 25 minutes of making the batter - I don't think you could have seen any yeast action before the yeast was just destroyed. yeast does have a bit of taste, but not an objectional one - I just think your dumplings would taste slightly breadier than usual.
posted by euphoria066 at 1:19 PM on April 2, 2020

If you want to play to its strengths:

Bread makes a fine pizza dough as is and I don't know why that would be any problem. Mix as instructed, prove, flatten to pizza-ish shape and size, maybe prove a bit again. Top and bake. Job done.

Naans usually have a bit of yogurt in and I think it softens the crust; if I were to wing it I might just sub out a spot of water for yogurt and make a go of it.

Chelsea buns are bread but not. And cinnamon rolls too.

Fruit loaves are a thing too. Sugar, raisins and a ton of spice. I'd use mixed spice under normal circumstances but you can mix up what spices you have to hand: powdered cloves, ginger, coriander, nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice in any proportion that smells nice will work, you'd probably want at least 1tbsp per pound of bread but I have yet to add too much. Toasts nicely. As a bun it becomes an English tea cake or a hot cross bun depending. Strangely good with a sharp cheddar.
posted by How much is that froggie in the window at 7:13 PM on April 2, 2020

« Older "Hemingway" quote check   |   Power me up! Acer laptop adapter needed -but which... Newer »