Cake flour conundrum

So when me and the Mater went through the pantry for optimum organization and storage during a pandemic reasons- we found a lot of cake flour. And bread flour- but I know what to do with that. (bread). My AP stores are lower than I'd like, but that seems to be true of everyone. But cake flour- what can you do with that? (besides cakes, but also including cakes) My special complication is no dairy whatsoever but I'd like to know all your favorite recipes that involve cake flour for IDK bread, cakes, cookies, ETC ETC.

But seriously no dairy whatsoever UNLESS it can have a 1:1 substitution for oil.
posted by Homo neanderthalensis to Food & Drink (8 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

The classic recipe for cake flour minus any dairy is Angel Food Cake!
posted by Champagne Supernova at 11:03 PM on April 1, 2020 [3 favorites]

Make bread, pasta and pastries out of it. Cake flour is just soft made from white wheat and it is the norm in Europe so most euro recipes will make up better with it. Soda bred, pasta and things like baguettes, choux pastry, puff pastry and pasta and pizza are better with cake flour than US bread flour. It's also much easier on your stomach and digestion than hard wheat flour.
posted by fshgrl at 11:24 PM on April 1, 2020 [3 favorites]

Given that all-purpose flour is a mix of hard and soft flours, you could combine the cake and bread flour to make the equivalent of all-purpose flour.
posted by ShooBoo at 11:43 PM on April 1, 2020 [13 favorites]

Yep, I learned that trick in pastry school: if you have pastry (cake) flour and bread flour, you have all-purpose flour. When I used to bake a lot more at home I actually only bought pastry flour and bread flour and just did 1:1 for any other use.
posted by fiercecupcake at 7:01 AM on April 2, 2020 [1 favorite]

Black Pepper Taralli from Julia Moskin in the New York Times! So good and no dairy.
Free to anyone link (Bryn Mooth, writes4food blog)
posted by catdapperling at 12:14 PM on April 2, 2020 [2 favorites]

choux pastry (eclairs, cream puffs) is delicious, I prefer cake flour for them, and the melted butter can be substituted for oil easily. I have used Macadamia or coconut oil for sweet (and then make a coconut milk custard to put in the middle) and olive oil for savoury choux before (stuff with.. I don't know. I've done cheese but that's dairy - hummus? tapenade? chicken salad?) I never use the electric mixer for this, I just add eggs one at a time and mix them like CRAZY with a wooden spoon, like until everyone in your family's arms are sore.

Ingredients to make the choux pastries:
50 g of extra virgin olive oil
100 g of water
100 g of flour
3 eggs

Pour water and olive oil in a small non stick saucepan, bring it to the boil. As soon as it starts bubbling add the flour in one go. Toast the flour for about five minutes, beating constantly and vigorously with a wooden spoon, until you have a golden ball of dough that will leave the sides of the saucepan clean.
Remove from the stove, transfer into a bowl and let it cool slightly. After a few minutes add the beaten eggs and whip with an electric beater for about five minutes, until smooth, glossy and thick.
Heat the oven to 210°C/400°F and line a tray with parchment paper. Shape mandarin sized balls with two tablespoons and lay them onto the lined baking tray. You should obtain about 8 choux pastries.
Bake for about 25 minutes, until golden brown and puffed up. Remove from the oven and let them cool down.
posted by euphoria066 at 1:33 PM on April 2, 2020 [1 favorite]

Mod note: One deleted; sorry, the OP needs recipes with no dairy.
posted by LobsterMitten (staff) at 5:55 PM on April 2, 2020 [1 favorite]

You can make pizza.

This recipe from Saveur uses only cake flour.

I've made this Cook's Illustrated version, which uses both cake and all purpose flours and it turns out really well.
posted by shoesietart at 3:43 PM on April 3, 2020

« Older What's the best way to organize my computer cords?   |   Modding Steripen Adventurer (optical) for surface... Newer »