Live Jamming Online

What is a good app or PC software for jamming with other musicians online? We tried Skype but there is a lag. I found JamKazam but am unfamiliar with it. Suggestions?
posted by zzazazz to Technology (6 answers total)

A pretty similar question was asked three days ago -- you might find some answers there, though there doesn't appear to be any immediately identifiable magic solution.
posted by andrewesque at 5:30 PM on March 23 [3 favorites]

Yeah, the latency pretty much precludes it across most solutions.
posted by j_curiouser at 5:39 PM on March 23 [1 favorite]

This gets asked fairly often in a musician's forum I frequent. The tl;dr is: You can't get the latency down to usable levels unless you're all in the same building, or your jam spaces all happen to be in the Network Operations Centers along one major trunk line.
posted by ardgedee at 6:07 PM on March 23 [3 favorites]

I had a reasonably successful jam earlier today with someone on the other side of town and someone about 75 miles away, using JamKazam. I've started writing up quick notes on how to get it going, since it's not obvious and the support site is offline.
posted by hades at 12:41 AM on March 24 [1 favorite]

Never used it, but I hear people are doing real-time socializing with Zoom - like drinking parties and games like trivia and 'cards against humanity'..
Maybe it would work for you.
posted by dustpuppy at 12:52 PM on March 24

This article just popped up in my email today: Reverb.com - 11 Tools For Collaborating On Music Remotely

And yeah, really the only two "live" collaboration tools suggested are JamKazam and Instagram Live.
posted by soundguy99 at 8:49 AM on March 26

« Older Acorn TV watch list   |   Love in the Time of Corona Newer »