Create a link to a specific Excel file - in an email, using Outlook

My Google-fu has failed me. This is a thing that can be done...I've done it. I'm just pressed for time, and turning to the green for help. I need to insert a link to a Excel file that is saved in a shared folder. The file doesn't come up under 'recently used' in the 'add a link menu'. I can't seem to just right click it and paste it as a link (which might only work for folders?). I'm flustered, and need some help. Thanks in advance
posted by walkinginsunshine to Computers & Internet (3 answers total)

Right click (and hold), then drag the file to the open Outlook message. A drop-down menu will appear with the option "paste as link".
posted by DoubleLune at 9:07 AM on March 23 [1 favorite]

In File Explorer, you can hold down the Shift key and right click a file, and you have extra options, and one is 'copy as path'; however you need to make sure it's a path that the recipient's computer can get to as well.
posted by AzraelBrown at 9:10 AM on March 23 [3 favorites]

you can hold down the Shift key and right click a file, and you have extra options, and one is 'copy as path'

Twenty-five years of Windows and it had never occurred to me that shift-rclick was a thing. Thanks! Good tip.

you need to make sure it's a path that the recipient's computer can get to as well

One way to increase the chances of that would be to use File Explorer to make a shortcut to the file (right-click on the file, choose Copy, right-click on the Desktop, choose Paste Shortcut) and then attach the shortcut to the email as well as pasting in the original file's pathname. Shortcuts are small and attaching them should cause no trouble. Just don't accidentally paste the shortcut's pathname instead of the original file's.

As well as the same pathname you'd be pasting, part of what's in a Windows shortcut is the name of the network share the file is on, if it's on one; that gives File Explorer more to go on if, for example, the sender and receivers' workstations do have access to the same underlying network shares but don't have them mapped to the same drive letters.

No competent netadmin would normally allow such a circumstance to occur, but these are strange times and the need to set up remote working over VPNs and whatnot might make it happen in some places for a while.
posted by flabdablet at 9:43 AM on March 23

« Older Covid response for programmers and technologists.   |   Macrame identification and instruction Newer »